Sunday, Oct. 13

IU club hockey splits two weekend games with DePaul

Team fires off 52 shots in loss; record now stands at 6-2-1

Brandon Foltz

After the IU ice hockey team dismantled DePaul goalie Jason Glosniak with a six-goal offensive barrage Friday, Glosniak wanted to get even Saturday.\nIU continually fired shots in his direction – the team had a 52-18 advantage in shots on goal in the second game of the weekend doubleheader – but Glosniak allowed just one puck to get by him. IU freshman center Chris Benz’s lone third-period goal was too little too late, as the Blue Demons already tallied a three-goal lead.\nIU (6-2-1) split the series against DePaul, winning 6-4 Friday and losing 4-1 Saturday. The team played without two key offensive leaders, senior captain Dan Karlander and sophomore forward Joe Fornari, who were out because \nof injury.\nFriday night, senior defenseman Brad Kirchner and Benz helped replace the missing offense, especially in power play situations. IU converted on four of five power play opportunities, with two goals from Kirchner and a goal and an assist from Benz. Sophomore forward Adam Logue and junior forward Daniel Keeney also scored goals, as IU opened a 6-2 advantage by the end of the second period. \nWith the comfortable lead, the team got a little sloppy in the third period, committing several penalties and allowing two Blue Demon goals.\n “We played well together as a team without Karlander and Fornari,” Kirchner said. “Our young guys played well.”\nBut on Saturday, DePaul’s three goals in the first two periods and Glosniak’s stellar goalie play were too much to overcome. Benz’ third-period goal avoided the shutout, but not bragging rights within his family, as his brother Tim plays for DePaul.\n“We came up against a real hot goaltender,” head coach Al Karlander said. “A good goaltender stops 90 percent of the shots. If that had been the case, we’d have had five goals, which would have taken care of what we needed.”\nKirchner was somewhat disappointed in the team’s defensive play over the weekend, as IU allowed four goals \neach game.\n“We definitely need to play better team defense,” Kirchner said. “We need to give our goalies a better view of the puck, clearing guys out of the net. We left too many guys in front of the net.”\nStill, he said he thinks IU is better than DePaul.\n“I think we win nine out of 10 against those guys,” Kirchner said. “I think they got one on us this weekend.” \nThis weekend, IU travels to Southern Illinois (5-2-0) for a weekend doubleheader. Despite Southern Illinois’ Top 10 Central Region ranking in last season’s final American Collegiate Hockey Association Division II poll, IU swept the team last season with two easy \nhome wins. \nIU expects to have Fornari and Karlander back in the lineup for this weekend. \n“We still can’t take them lightly,” Kirchner said.