Sunday, Oct. 13

IU volleyball team falls to 5-5 in Big Ten play with road loss to Michigan

Chris Pickrell

Despite upsetting No. 15 Michigan in game one, the IU volleyball team (13-8, 5-5) lost the next three games to the Wolverines (30-28, 23-30, 18-30, 27-30) Friday night in Ann Arbor, Mich. \nIU trailed for much of game one, but their defensive effort ultimately put the team on top. \nDown 25-23, IU notched three consecutive points to force a Michigan timeout. Following the break, junior outside hitter Erica Short sent Michigan’s attack right back for her third solo block of game one. Moments later, a Michigan service ace narrowed the lead to 29-28. IU responded immediately, however, as freshman middle blocker Taylor Wittmer finished off the next rally with a kill to take game one, 30-28. \nWittmer filled the stat sheet in game one, recording five kills on all five attack attempts and racking up four blocks. \nIn game two, Michigan built an early lead that IU could not overcome. Down by 11 points at 22-11, IU did make a run, winning five straight points to narrow the gap to 22-16. However, the Wolverines came out victorious in game two. Although IU’s offense picked up in game three, Michigan’s offense did as well as the Wolverines hit .404 to win the game.\nIn game four, IU started quickly, opening up with a 6-2 lead. The Hoosiers were able to hold onto the lead until Michigan took a 25-24 edge late in the game. Michigan went on to win the game 30-27, taking the match 3-1. \nWhat doomed IU in its three lost games seemed to be the passing ability, which has been one of the team’s strong points all season, IU coach Sherry Dunbar said. \n“We did not pass well at all,” Dunbar said. “We could not get into a rhythm – passing has been something we had been doing well prior to Friday’s match.” \nBecause of the game Wednesday against Purdue, Michigan was IU’s only opponent on the weekend. This was the first Saturday the team has had off in nearly two months. \n“It gives our team the rare chance to be regular students,” Dunbar said. “I told them to go out and take the opportunity to go to the football game and field hockey game.” \nWittmer took the weekend off to rest and put the season in perspective.\n“It is great to have the weekend off,” she said. “I feel like this weekend will allow us to relax and reflect on this first half of Big Ten.” \nSitting at .500 in the conference at the halfway point of the Big Ten season, IU has put itself in position to have its first winning season since 2002. The Hoosiers know that they still need to improve to finish the season strong. \n“We need to work harder to improve our defense and passing,” senior right side Lauren Ditteon said. “If we do that, we will be able to do some great things.”