Sunday, Oct. 13

IU womens golf struggles in Carolina

It appears the IU women’s golf team may have found themselves haunted on Halloween this year. \nHowever, it is not a ghost that haunts the Hoosiers, but instead the Kiawah Island Golf Resort, which has been a course tormenting IU the past two years. \nAfter a season-low 11th-place finish there last year, the Hoosiers faired only marginally better and once again placed a season-low – this time 10th – Monday and Tuesday in the Edwin Watts/Palmetto intercollegiate in Kiawah Island, S.C. \nIU coach Clint Wallman said the Hoosiers could not maintain their fast start and struggled down the stretch.\n“This is a tricky course,” Wallman said. “I think we had a strong start, but then made mistakes and compound errors.”\nThe Hoosiers played much of the first nine holes in the Top 3 before falling back to between 10th and 15th place for the rest of the tournament.\nOne player who has not struggled with the course is sophomore Anita Gahir. After placing 15th last year, she led the team again this year, despite being absent from the team’s two previous tournaments because of injury.\nGahir, who placed 21st, finished the tournament strong, placing four strokes over par the final two rounds after shooting 11 strokes over par in the first round.\n“I was excited to come back (from injury),” Gahir said. “I hit the ball poorly to start, but finished off well.”\nGahir was followed by sophomore Laura Nochta, who placed one stroke lower in 26th after a strong final round of two-over par.\n“I am pretty happy with how I came back,” Nochta said. “I had a pretty bad streak to start, but played well today.”\nRounding out the IU line-up were seniors Lauren Harling and Elaine Harris, as well as junior Amber Lindgren, who placed 34th, 57th and 78th, \nrespectively. \nEast Carolina won the tournament as a team, while Nebraska, Kansas State, Maryland and Georgia State rounded out the Top 5.\nJC Stevenson of Nebraska captured the individual title by finishing two strokes under par in each of the last two rounds. \nWith their final fall tournament behind them, the Hoosiers head into a long winter break, as the college golf season does not resume until February.\nThe spring season begins Feb. 8 with an exhibition match against Wisconsin, and the Hoosiers return to regular season tournament-style play Feb. 19 in the Central District Invitational in Parrish, Fla.