Sunday, Oct. 13

Kellen Lewis’ ability sparks IU offense

QB wins 2nd Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week award this season

Jay Seawell

Two years ago, Kellen Lewis didn’t even know where Bloomington was.\nHailing from Jacksonville, Fla., the sophomore quarterback thought that Indiana was farther west than it actually is, and only knew of one major city in the state – Indianapolis.\n“I thought it was a little bit closer to Nebraska,” Lewis said. “I knew of the Big Ten and Michigan and Ohio State, but I hadn’t heard of too many marquee players from Indiana.”\nBut following the recruiting process, the now four-time Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week honoree – he shares this week’s honor with Wisconsin’s P.J. Hill – erased what he called his ignorance of the program.\nWith 14 career starts, 37 total career touchdowns and a current ranking as the sixth-best rushing quarterback in the nation with 74.4 yards per game, Lewis has become a fan favorite and the leader of a potent IU offense.\nLewis’ path from high school to college is an unusual one – for both himself and IU football. \nSince the seventh grade, the IU standout dreamed of playing football on a higher level, but only on the condition that he play quarterback. The high regard Lewis has for the quarterback position comes straight from his father.\n“My dad always had those NFL films with the commentator that has the voice that makes the guys sound heroic,” Lewis said. “So I was watching the Cowboys – (Roger) Staubach and all those guys – and I realized that those guys are so much more glorious than the safety coming down to make the tackle.”\nOddly enough, Lewis was getting the letters to play for Football Bowl Subdivision – formerly called Division I – teams. However, those letters were not asking him to play the position he had dreamed of. They asked of him to play wide receiver and cornerback – speed positions.\nAs the Hoosiers have learned during the past year, it’s Lewis’ ability to use his speed and make throws downfield that have made him a threat to opponents.\nAfter the signing period came and went during his senior year of high school, Lewis made the decision that he was going to play quarterback for an FBS school or attend a prep school. He ended up choosing the latter, taking a scholarship offer at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia.\nAnd then Terry Hoeppner took the reigns at IU. \nWith only two scholarship quarterbacks heading into the summer – then-sophomore Blake Powers and then-junior Graeme McFarland – the coaching staff found tape on every available quarterback that had not signed with a school.\nLo and behold, there \nwas Lewis’.\nCurrent IU coach Bill Lynch was then the Hoosiers’ offensive coordinator and was not involved heavily in the recruiting process, but Lynch said getting Lewis was a great find.\n“He certainly ... had confidence he was a quarterback, and given the opportunity, he could do it,” Lynch said. “So we were fortunate enough to get him up here for a visit and convince him to come up here and play quarterback.”\nThough seen simply as insurance at the time, the move paid off for the Hoosiers.\nAs a freshman, Lewis found himself redshirted – something he wasn’t too happy about. To his knowledge, none of the returning quarterbacks had much game experience, and he believed he could do better.\nHowever, Powers and junior wide receiver James Hardy became mentors to Lewis, who admired their work ethic and desire to improve through watching hours of game film.\nAnd after Powers had a career year, passing for an IU record 22 touchdowns, Lewis knew it would be a long time before he took the reigns of the team.\n“First season came by, and he broke the school passing record,” Lewis said. “So, I’m figuring he’s a redshirt sophomore, I’ll be sitting for the next two years.”\nLewis didn’t have to wait nearly that long.\nDuring what turned out to be a 24-23 win at Ball State last year, McFarland – who started in place of an injured Powers – was hurt during the second offensive series of the game. \nWith two injured quarterbacks, an unprepared Lewis took the field for the first time as a Hoosier.\n“I still stood there without my helmet and my headphones were still on,” Lewis said. “I’m looking around thinking someone’s behind me. Everyone was trying to encourage me, but the more they talked to me the more nervous I got.”\nHe would play in every game the rest of the year.\nAdjusting to life as a quarterback in the Big Ten can be a difficult process, especially for a freshman. But with the 6-foot-7 Hardy to throw to, Lewis began to develop a comfortable role under center, using his arm to make great throws and using his legs to scramble when protection broke down.\nThough he took the starting job from Powers, his good friend, Lewis said the two have remained close and continue to help each other improve on the field. \n“It feels like he needs some advice a lot of the time,” Powers said. “It’s a lot harder to see things when you’re in the game with people in your face than it is on the sideline. So I’m always there for him during the games to try and help him out and help the team.”\nBut for now, Lewis isn’t losing any ground. He’s led IU to a 7-7 record as a starter and has proven to be a dynamic force on the field, adding several different weapons to the IU playbook. The Hoosiers have jumped out to a 4-1 record this year, with Lewis’ success helping lead the way.\nDuring the first two years of his career, Lewis has won several accolades as well. In addition to his Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week awards, Lewis was named to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team last year. But those awards go only so far toward satisfying his aspirations for the future.\n“A lot of guys make goals stat-wise – this amount of numbers, that amount of numbers,” Lewis said. “My goal is just to be in California (or) Florida in December, instead of staying at home in Jacksonville watching other people play bowl games. I want to be in one.”