Wednesday, Oct. 2

Le Dernier Cri

Now is the time

I wish I could say that every fashion choice made by every person is a good one. But that wouldn’t be very interesting, would it? Sometimes, you just can’t say no to those bright blue, Wayfarer-knockoff sunglasses from Urban Outfitters. But then you look at pictures posted on Facebook the next hung-over Sunday morning and see they made you the most ridiculous, unforgettable person at the party. Therefore, I have compiled my Top 5 wardrobe choices to leave out (or throw out) of your closet. \nNo. 1: The Canadian Tuxedo (aka the JOJO or Jean-On-Jean Offender). This is a fancy name for an outfit that consists of a denim jacket and jeans. The best example of the Canadian Tuxedo was seen on Justin Timberlake and Britney Spears at the 2001 American Music Awards, when Timberlake wore a denim suit and Spears a floor length dress. A Canadian Tuxedo makes you look like you’re trying too hard to look put-together, and you just end up looking like a mess. It doesn’t matter if the two types of denim match or not, so unless this outfit is your Halloween costume, don’t do it.\nNo. 2: Leather Pants/Leggings. This look was most recently seen on Ashley Olsen, who topped them off with a pair of navy blue Converse. The stick-thin star ended up looking like she jumped off her boyfriend’s Harley for a quick stop at Bergdorf’s, emerging minutes later ready for the next motorcycle rally. The leather pant has had its day, and the sun set when the members of 1980s hair bands got their much-needed haircuts. \nNo. 3: Knee Socks. Knee socks have seen a resurgence in popularity after Britney Spears’ “ ... Baby One More Time” music video made her a star in 1998. I don’t care if you wear the version that looks like the opaque tights my mom made me wear to church when I was 8, or the version that looks like an overgrown tube sock. This look is simply unacceptable and unflattering, unless you happen to be a soccer player or under the age of 8.\nNo. 4: Capri Pants. I don’t mean the cropped pants variety; I mean the kind that end right below the knees. This type of pant makes your legs look short, even if you have legs like Gisele Bündchen. For a better option, choose a dark, slim pant that hits just above your ankle. This will make your legs look longer and leaner. \nNo. 5: Terry cloth anything (except towels), including pants, hoodies and the Juicy Couture jumpsuits that Paris Hilton inexplicably made popular. After only a couple wears, the fabric starts to get faded and dirty, which makes them look even worse. Plus, the fabric is never flattering on anyone, and makes the wearer’s derriere look twice as big as it actually is. \nSince the fall fashion season is now officially upon us, take this opportunity to update your closet and maybe throw out or give away some of the items listed above. There is no better time to update your look than now.