Sunday, Oct. 13

Michigan State routs IU 52-27

Jay Seawell

EAST LANSING, Mich. – Under the lights of Spartan Stadium in front of more than 70,000 people, IU had a chance to become bowl eligible for the first time in 14 years. Though the game started off looking like an offensive shootout, it turned into a one-sided massacre.\nThe Hoosiers were drubbed by Michigan State 52-27 as the Spartans rolled up 558 yards of total offense – 368 on the ground.\n“We had a pretty good idea what they were trying to do to us,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “We just didn’t do a very good job stopping it.”\nMichigan State (5-2, 1-2) dominated the first half of the game, but IU (5-2, 2-2) found itself only down 11 at halftime. The Hoosiers stayed in the game behind a 59-yard touchdown run by sophomore quarterback Kellen Lewis and two field goals by junior kicker Austin Starr. \nBut the Spartans – as they did the entire game – overwhelmed the Hoosiers with their rushing attack. In the first half alone, MSU running back Javon Ringer had 160 yards and two touchdowns and senior Spartan running back Jehuu Caulcrick chipped in 55 yards and a touchdown.\n“(Missed tackles are) just something that we’re going to work on next week, and I’m sure it’ll be emphasized in practice,” said safety Austin Thomas, who finished the game with a career-high 22 tackles. “We’ll get better at it because we have to.”\nIn the second half, things went from bad to worse for IU.\nMichigan State’s passing attack began to complement its ground game. On MSU’s first drive, junior quarterback Brian Hoyer used play action to find junior wide receiver Devin Thomas for a 34-yard touchdown.\nThe Spartan offense continued to hammer away at the Hoosier defense with runs from Caulcrick and Ringer while peppering the game with occasional throws from Hoyer. The MSU offense controlled the ball for more than 41 minutes.\nThe few times IU’s offense was on the field, Lewis was hounded by Spartan defenders. The Hoosiers’ luck hit a low when Lewis fumbled after getting sacked by MSU senior defensive end Jonal Saint-Dic deep in IU territory. Spartan defensive lineman Ervin Baldwin scooped up the ball and trotted into the end zone to extend MSU’s lead to 45-13 with five minutes left in the third quarter. \nThe Hoosiers managed to end their brutal third quarter with two touchdowns – one on a 37-yard pass from Lewis to Hardy and another from a fumble return by senior cornerback Tracy Porter – but the only points in the fourth frame came from Caulcrick’s third rushing touchdown of the game.\nWhen the final whistle blew, Ringer finished with 203 rushing yards while Caulcrick finished with 94 rushing yards. As a pair, they rushed for five touchdowns.\nDespite the score, there were some bright spots for IU. Along with Thomas’ career-best 22 tackles, Hardy extended his streak of catching at least one touchdown pass per game to eight, and Starr set a new Hoosier record with 11 consecutive field goals. But the individual accomplishments earned Saturday didn’t get the team to a bowl game – a goal the Hoosiers are still confident they will achieve.\n“We know we’re going to get to a bowl game. There’s no doubt in my mind or anyone else’s mind,” Hardy said. “You have to go through a struggle to feel the glory.”