Sunday, Oct. 13

Postseason play begins for cross country teams

IU-PU rivalry renewed as AT&T Crimson & Gold Cup points up for grabs

Now it’s for real. \nAfter regular season meets with little meaning, the stakes are high this time for more than one reason at the Big Ten Championships on Sunday in Columbus, Ohio. \nNot only has the postseason arrived, but two points are on the line in the AT&T Crimson & Gold Cup, the annual inter-sport contest between IU and Purdue. The Hoosiers will look to return the cup to Bloomington for the third time in four years after losing to their rivals in West Lafayette last year.\nBesides the Crimson and Gold Cup, the fact that the meet is part of the postseason has an effect on the Hoosiers.\nSophomore Jordan Kyle, who has been the highest-placing Hoosier in every meet so far this year, understands the added pressure of postseason play. \n“There is more of a level of professionalism (this weekend),” Kyle said. “Everyone wants to run well, and it changes the mentality on where you want to place.”\nKyle also thinks he can improve on last year’s 16th-place finish at the Big Ten Championships.\n“I think I can finish in the top eight this year,” he said. \nOn the women’s side, IU junior Lauren Keefe said the Hoosiers will not change the way they run this weekend, even though it is postseason play.\n“We’re planning on approaching this meet like any other,” Keefe said. “(IU) coach (Ron) Helmer has set goals for us and we hope to approach it that way.”\nKeefe was also hoping for the best finish ever for herself.\n“Personally, I hope to get a personal record and be under last week’s time,” Keefe said.\nThe meet for both the men’s and women’s team begins at 11 a.m. with the women’s race being six kilometers and the men’s race being 10 kilometers.\nFollowing this weekend, postseason action continues on Nov. 10 in Bloomington with the NCAA Great Lakes Regional Championships. This meet is when elimination begins, as the Hoosiers must place in the top two to go to the NCAA Championships on Nov. 19.