Wednesday, Oct. 2

Seuss stories come to life in season opener

‘Seussical’ is 1st show of new IU Musical Theatre program

Chris Pickrell

“From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere.” \nThis includes the IU Department of Theatre and Drama’s “Seussical the Musical,” which will open at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Ruth N. Halls Theatre. Based on the stories of Dr. Seuss, “Seussical” is founded on the imagination – for kids and adults.\n“Seussical” encompasses more than 15 of Dr. Seuss’ books but centers mostly on the stories “Horton Hears a Who” and “Horton Hatches an Egg.” Off in the Jungle of Nool, Horton the Elephant, played by senior Arri Simon, hears the cry of a young “Who” named JoJo, portrayed by freshman Nicholas Sauerberg. JoJo cries because he got in trouble for his overactive imagination. Horton is ridiculed for believing in JoJo and the world of Who, which only exists on the tiniest speck of dust. The story is narrated by the Cat in the Hat, played by graduate student Matthew Buffalo, who appears throughout the show.\n“We all get busy doing the status quo, all form and structure, (but) it is OK to think outside of the box again,” Buffalo said. “It encourages everyone to be creative and kids again.”\n“Seussical” is directed by Emmy winner, Tony Award nominee and IU’s Head of Musical Theatre George Pinney. Pinney said he believes this production will inspire children and adults to use their imaginations again.\n“It is going to be a terrific, fun-filled, escapist evening,” Pinney said. “All I look forward to seeing is this cast ignite the audience.”\nAdding to its already impressive degree programs, the IU Department of Theatre and Drama has added a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Musical Theatre, and “Seussical” is the flagship of this program. \nSeveral members of the cast expressed their opinions of “Seussical,” claiming that the show “makes you a kid again,” “makes you happy” and helps everyone remember that “anything is possible.” \nAlthough some may question its age appropriateness, Simon said “Seussical” should appeal to all people, including the musical un-enthusiasts, and won’t make anyone bored or want to leave early. \n“It completely draws you in,” Simon said. “(The audience) becomes part of the \nshow immediately.”\n“Seussical” will run at 7:30 p.m. this Friday and Saturday and Oct. 9 to Oct. 13 in the Ruth N. Halls Theatre. Tickets are $18 for the weekend performances, and student tickets are available for the Oct. 9-11 performances for $14. Student rush tickets are available the day of the show for $10 with a valid student ID. Tickets are available at the IU Auditorium Box Office or through Ticketmaster. \nVisit www.theatre.indiana.edu for more information.