Sunday, Oct. 13

Sunday win completes unbeaten home season for IU womens soccer team

Illinois loss puts IU 3rd in Big Ten behind Penn State, 1st-place Purdue

Brandon Foltz

Their unbeaten streak stopped at 13 on Friday night, but freshman midfielder Chloe McKay said the IU women’s soccer team is starting a new streak after the Hoosiers came from behind to defeat Oakland University on Sunday.\n“Our first goal was to just go out there and win, and come back, because we did not want to lose again,” McKay said. “It brought us back up, and we now have put the loss behind us and are on our new win streak.”\nIllinois defeated the Hoosiers 3-0 on Friday night. The loss was IU’s first since its season-opener Aug. 31 at then-No. 14 Florida.\nFighting Illini senior forward Ella Masar lit up the Hoosiers, as she scored two of her team’s three goals on Illinois’ senior night.\nIU coach Mick Lyon said the game against Illinois came down to the Hoosiers not being able to capitalize on opportunities, letting the Fighting Illini control the game’s momentum and not coming through in one-on-one situations.\nThe loss moved IU’s conference record to 5-1-1. The Hoosiers are currently third in the Big Ten behind Purdue, 6-0-1, and Penn State, 6-1-0.\nWhile playing at home yesterday, the Hoosiers had to come from behind for the fifth time this season to defeat Oakland 2-1. \nThe win was the last home game of the season for the Hoosiers and secured an unbeaten season at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The 9-0-1 home record is the team’s best in school history.\n“(Going undefeated at home) is fantastic,” Lyon said. “I’m shocked about this team. It is special to have such great kids.”\nOakland controlled the first half of the game Sunday, and led 1-0 at halftime. \nBut the Hoosiers poured on the pressure in the second half, starting with the equalizing goal from McKay just two minutes in.\n“(The goal) started with the ball on the wing, and I knew there was going to be a cross,” McKay said. “And I saw one of our players running in, so I decided to stay at the top of the box and wait for the rebound. I waited, and the ball came shooting back, out and I just put it where the keeper wasn’t.”\nThe game-winning goal then came in the 82nd minute, as sophomore defender Jessica Boots tallied her first goal of the season. \n“There was play in the box and we had a couple of chances that we didn’t fall in, and the ball came back out right outside the 18 (yard box), and I just took a touch and struck it,” Boots said.\nLyon said the biggest difference between the halves was that his team was much more aggressive in the second half. \nThat aggression showed in the final box score. \nIn the second half, the Hoosiers nearly doubled their shot-on-goal total from the first half and out-shot the Golden Grizzlies 13-3.\nBoots said the Oakland – and every game going forward – will be crucial to IU’s season.\n“I think that this game meant a lot,” Boots said. “It was kind of like a start to the new season – the second half of the season – which every game we have to win or we are going to be out.”\nAfter the win, the Hoosiers’ season record stands at 12-2-2. Their next match is 7:30 p.m. Friday at Ohio State.