Sunday, Oct. 13

30th-ranked Hoosiers heading to National Championships after earning at-large bid

IU earns 1st berth in annual meet since 1995

A strong showing at the NCAA Great Lakes Regional Championships has gotten IU to the promise land. \nAfter hosting the regionals and placing fourth, the 30th-ranked Hoosiers managed to score enough points to earn a spot in the National Championships for the first time since 2005. \nIU coach Ron Helmer was proud of the team and said regionals were the deciding factor in earning a berth to the National Championships. \n“I’m very happy for this group of kids,” Helmer said in a statement. “They met the challenge of being at their best when it mattered most. Our regional performance was definitely the best of the season, and I am happy they were rewarded with a trip to the NCAA Championships as a result.”\nThe National Championships will be held Monday at the LaVern Gibson Championship Course in Terre Haute.\nThis course is familiar to the Hoosiers, as they have already competed in Terre Haute this season at Pre-Nationals on Oct. 13. They placed a season-low 18th, their only finish outside the top 10 this year.\nIU is led by sophomore Jordan Kyle, who ran as an individual at the National Championships last year and earned All-American honors by placing 33rd. \nKyle carried that success into this year, as he has been the top-placing Hoosier in four out of five meets. \nAs a team, IU will look for its fourth national title and first since 1942.\nHowever, Kyle predicts a more modest finish for himself and the team.\n“I think if (the team) runs as well as we did at regionals, we may finish in the Top 25,” Kyle said. “After finishing 33rd last year, I now have background and may finish in the Top 25.”\nKyle, however, said being at nationals is important for improving, even if the team does not win it all.\n“I think it’s good for the young guys to learn how a national meet is run, so they can gain experience,” he said.\nThe race is 10 kilometers long and will begin at 12 p.m. It will be televised live by CSTV.