Sunday, Oct. 13

Heartbreaking loss sees IU womens soccer team out of Big Ten tourney

Hoosiers now hope to receive an at-large NCAA bid

The IU women’s soccer team lost its first-round game in the Big Ten Tournament to Ohio State 2-1 on Thursday.\n“The team played outstanding and gave a great performance,” IU coach Mick Lyon said. “Obviously, I’m disappointed that, with the several chances we had, that we didn’t put in the back of the net.”\nIU had 18 shots on goal in the match as opposed to the Buckeyes’ 13.\nEight minutes into overtime, Buckeye senior midfielder Lara Dickenmann sent a cross into the six-yard box that was punched toward the near post by Hoosier freshman goalkeeper Lauren Hollandsworth.\nWith the ball on the way to the post, Ohio State sophomore midfielder Ashley Bowyer slid in and redirected the ball into the back of the net, giving OSU the win.\nIU struck first in the contest in the 54th minute, when sophomore forward Kristin Arnold sent a corner kick into senior midfielder Lindsay McCarthy, who gathered the ball and struck it into the corner of the goal. The score was McCarthy’s fifth of the season.\nIU didn’t have the lead long, however, as Buckeye freshman midfielder Courtney Jenkins bent a ball past Hollandsworth less than three minutes later.\n“(The Hoosiers) just played outstanding,” Lyon said. “Which is just tremendous since we were absolutely blown apart last weekend by Purdue. But then again, this was a different team, the same team showed up at Penn State and Ohio State a couple of weeks ago, and that is just a great, great team.”\nThe loss to the Buckeyes parallels last season’s storyline for the Hoosiers, as the last two years have seen the squad gather long winning streaks, only to stumble down the stretch. IU hopes the comparison with last year ends now, as they wait to see if they get into the NCAA Tournament. \nAfter last year’s loss in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament, the squad didn’t get an at-large bid for the NCAAs.\nLyon feels, however, that this year’s team has done enough to get their bid. \n“We don’t have a bad loss, and we have great wins,” Lyon said. “There is no doubt about it.”\nThe Hoosiers have a strong overall record at 12-6-2, but will be relying on their high Ratings Percentage Index as the time comes for the NCAA committee to decide what teams get at-large bids for the NCAA tournament.\nIn the latest RPI rankings, the Hoosiers were No. 18, third highest in the Big Ten behind Penn State and Purdue, who rank nationally at No. 1 and No. 13, respectively.\nIn the Hoosiers’ favor is their win over No. 4 USC, one of the Spartans’ two losses on the season. All six of IU’s losses have come to teams with RPI rankings in the Top 36 nationally.\nThe selection show for the NCAA Tournament will be televised at 8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 12, on ESPNEWS. Until then, IU waits.\nLyon remains confident that his team can compete well against top teams in the country.\n“I stand by my words,” Lyon said. “I’ll take anybody in the NCAA Tournament. I think we’ll do well.”