Sunday, Oct. 13

Lewis overcomes early turnovers, leads IU to victory, bowl eligibility

Jay Seawell

After six failed attempts over the last two years, the IU football team is bowl eligible. As is typical with Hoosier victories, sophomore quarterback Kellen Lewis had a big day statistically. \nBut after the game, Lewis was deflecting the credit to two leaders who kept him in the game mentally. \nDuring their three game losing streak, the Hoosiers – and Lewis – developed some bad habits, namely turnover problems. IU (6-4, 2-4) coughed up the ball 11 times over the last three games, losing nine \nof them. \nBefore their first practice Tuesday, the seniors called for a player’s only meeting in hopes of getting the team back on track. But for that to happen, the offense had to limit their turnovers, especially fumbles.\nBefore the first half was over against Ball State, Lewis fumbled twice. He turned the ball over three times. \nAfter one fumble that was recovered by the Cardinals, Lewis stayed down from the hit, visibly discouraged. Sprinting over to pick him up was his most reliable target, junior wide receiver James Hardy, who had words of motivation for his quarterback.\n“Don’t let them see you with your head down,” Hardy said to Lewis. “People will hold that against him. He’s been struggling the last couple of weeks. With me being the leader of the team, I had to go up there and give him motivation and encouragement to get up and get it done the next time we \ngot the ball.”\nHardy wasn’t alone in his attempt to boost Lewis’s confidence. The defense rallied around the quarterback as well. Senior cornerback and team captain Tracy Porter made a point of finding Lewis before the sophomore went back \nonto the field.\n“I went out there and told him, ‘Don’t worry about the fumble, the defense has your back,’” Porter said. “We’re going to go out and continue to get you the ball.”\nPorter and the defense made good on their word, forcing the Cardinals to punt. On the Hoosiers’ ensuing drive, Lewis found sophomore wide receiver Ray Fisher on a screen pass that went 60 yards for a touchdown. The rest of the game was turnover-free for the Hoosiers, and Lewis went off with 354 yards passing and four touchdowns. His passing yards and 406 yards of total offense were \nboth career highs. \nLewis praised Hardy and Porter for keeping him upbeat at the start of the game.\n“It means a lot, because those are two guys that are leaders on the team, especially Porter,” Lewis said. “Obviously, after I make a turnover, the defense comes on the field, you expect the dirty looks, but no one on the defensive side of the ball (did).”\nWhen the final whistle blew, the Hoosiers rejoiced with the remaining fans at Memorial Stadium, singing the fight song as the Marching Hundred played along. \nIU overcame the three early turnovers and possibly salvaged its season in the process. After the game, Porter said the team will immediately turn their focus toward Northwestern and, as he did on Saturday, Porter said he will continue to support his quarterback. \n“He told me he appreciated how the defense has his back,” Porter said. “But that’s what a team ... That’s what a family does. We have each other’s backs – no \nmatter what.”