Wednesday, Oct. 2

‘Sex/Death V’ set to be a titillating event for stressed students

Image of a Bloomington Playwrights Project production

Finals week, so often marked by tedium, monotony and studious work, is quickly approaching. So, who wouldn’t desire a break from such a time?\nThe Bloomington Playwrights Project is hoping to offer such a thing to a student audience, with their performance of “Sex/Death V.” The show will offer audience members a view of unconventional, risque and even experimental topics.\n“Sex/Death V” is a collection of 14 short plays and interludes ranging in length from about one to 10 minutes. Topics will focus around the title words, sex and death, and, more specifically, viewers can expect lust, suicide, murder, bizarre sexual fantasies or any combination thereof to be included, according to a press release.\nGabe Gloden, public relations director of the Project, said some of the short plays will feature nudity and even simulated sex scenes.\n“Some people will come out just to see what (we’ll) do this year,” he said. “A lot of audience members don’t have the chance to experience things like this on stage. It asks how far can performers, writers and audience members go?”\nGloden said the show presents an unusual challenge for both writers and actors alike.\n“‘Sex/Death V’ ends up challenging actors and writers to get out of their shells and tackle material that might be uncomfortable for them,” he said. “Can you be nude, simulate a sexual encounter or poke fun at sacred subjects and do it convincingly?”\nHe also added that even though this play features adult topics and is marketed toward mature audiences, the Project wouldn’t turn anyone away because of their age. President Sonja Johnson said the Project doesn’t want to use these topics just for the sake of sensationalism and that it is, after all, just entertainment.\nThis isn’t the first year that “Sex/Death V” is being performed on the Project’s stage. First shown in 2002, Gloden said it has gained in popularity as the years have passed. He said he feels that this year’s show is going to be the best yet, and for good reason. He said they received 220 submissions this year, and out of those, 14 were chosen. \nBoth Johnson and Gloden said the show will offer a nice break from studying for many students. \n“We hope that students will come out, looking for a break from all the rigors of finals week,” Gloden said.\n“Sex/Death V” will be at 10 p.m. Dec. 3-5 and 10-12 at the Bloomington Playwrights Project., 107 W. Ninth St. Tickets are $5. For more information, call 334-1188.