Tuesday, Oct. 1

Wright Quad Freshman Interest Group students show themes of growth

Student event is culmination of 8 to 10 weeks of work

For some students, freshman year can be a time of growth and hardship. \nArt students showed that Wednesday at a small art show called “Antonym: Decay” at Runcible Spoon. \nFreshman Interest Group students in the Wright Quad arts community said they were able to make a smoother transition to IU as part of the program, making many connections living and taking classes together, said Danny Weddle, the FIG leader.\nFor the show, students were assigned to create their own interpretations of the theme of nature and growth in either photography, drawing or sculpture. \nAngela Flores, a student in the FIG, said she’s been drawing ever since elementary school. She expressed the theme of growth in nature through a picture of her house. The graphite and charcoal drawing depicted the interior and exterior of her home.\n“My drawing shows how I’m dealing with homesickness,” Flores said. “It’s also dealing with growth of thought and imagination.”\nGlenna Cytrynbaum, another group member, has been a photographer for five years. She created a photo collage that formed a tree. She said her work related to growth and nature because the pictures she used for the collage were of a mother and a child. The tree shows growth, she said, and represents “the tree of life.”\nAlong with drawings and photos, “Antonym: Decay” also featured poetry and an open-\nmic performance. \nWeddle said students had been working on the show for eight to 10 weeks. \n“It ended up really well,” he said. \nAbout 40 to 50 people attended the show throughout the evening. \n“The best part for me was being able to spend time with my students in that atmosphere,” Weddle said.