Wednesday, Oct. 2

'Art of Chocolate' event raises money for Options for Better Living

Coline Sperling

Generally speaking, people like helping other people. Generally speaking, people love chocolate. Last night, organizers brought these elements together to present the Art of Chocolate at the IU Art Museum.\nFor about 200 people Sunday afternoon, enjoying chocolate treats also meant supporting Options for Better Living, a non-profit organization that helps people with disabilities lead more fulfilling lives. All proceeds from the event, which featured chocolate-laden tables from different local chefs, benefited the group. \nBut the Art of Chocolate wasn’t limited to the delectable edibles. \nOne of the highlights of the evening was the living chocolate art presented by BLU Boy chef David Fletcher. Fletcher developed and launched the program at last year’s Art of Chocolate, when he painted a male model in chocolate, transforming him into a living chocolate sculpture. \nThis year, Fletcher went one step further, using both male and female models. Models Kaela Pensa and a male runner whose team obligations prevent him from promoting organizations, both IU students, were covered head to toe in chocolate.\n“They look beautiful, somehow, covered in chocolate,” said Ashley Biggs of BLU Boy.\nThe effect was quite realistic. \n “I was shocked because I thought the ‘sculpture’ was a real sculpture at first,” IU law student Iris Holbrook said.\nThe local chefs were in fine form as they presented the eager patrons with delectable desserts that seemed capable of inducing sugar shock from 50 yards away. \nChef Nick Farkas of the Cake and the Caterer created a chocolate truffle buffet, in addition to non-chocolate appetizers. \n “(A truffle) is basically cake dipped in chocolate ... Not a bad combination at all,” he said. \nAmong his variety of truffle types were ‘Monkey Business’ — truffles with crushed bananas mixed into the cake batter before cooking — and ‘Chocolate Explosions,’ which contained chocolate chips, chocolate pudding and chocolate milk in the chocolate cake.\nOfferings from the Restaurant Tallent, led by chef Kristin Tallent, included chocolate brownie cookies with peanut butter cream, chocolate crackle cookies, coconut macaroons with chocolate filling and chocolate sandwich cookies with strawberry, Nutella or vanilla filling.\nFARMBloomington chef Daniel Orr contributed his renowned Cocoa Ribs to the occasion, topping the treat with scallions and sesame seeds to achieve maximum tastiness potential.\nThe only problem for some was choosing from amongst the delicious and often beautiful treats. \n“With something like this, how do you not try everything?” said Tutto Bene bartender Scott Crone.\nBloomington resident Teena Gerhardt agreed. \n“I think we’ve tried something off every table,” she said.\nAt the Oliver Winery table, guests could pick from several varieties of wines. Winery representative Julie Dailey said she enjoys the event because “I really like to take wine and pair it with food ... wine by itself, it’s delicious ... but when you can pair it with food, it just turns it into something special.”\nThe chefs also appreciated the exposure, in addition to having chance to help a charity. Several said the event was a great way for people to get to taste the food they have to offer in such a positive environment. \nA silent auction of donated items included season passes to the IU Opera, a chocolate-filled gift basket from Bloomingfoods and a painting created by customers of Options’ LEAP continuing education program.\nSusan Rinne, the chief executive officer of Options, said it’s better to watch the chocolate art than to eat the chocolate artwork “because you can watch all night and not gain a pound.”