Wednesday, Oct. 2

Buskirk to host ‘sex party’

Provocative dance party to mimic metropolitan clubs

Apparently, the Bloomington community is not experiencing a sexual dry spell.\nThis is certainly the belief of junior Alex Pyatetsky, the host of this evening’s event, “People Are Still Having Sex.”\n“People Are Still Having Sex” is a dance party which will take place tonight at 10 p.m. in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The name was inspired by the 1991 song of the same name by LaTour. \n“It’s a very provocative name, and I want everything about this event to be high contrast and stick out in people’s minds,” Pytatetsky said. “The name is something people like talking about; it’s funny and classy. You can’t not talk about the sex party.”\nThe event encourages attendees to explore all senses at this “dress to impress” party.\n“We don’t want to impose a specific style; we want to impose the presence of style,” Pyatetsky said. “We recognize the fact that girls want to feel sexy. This is an excuse to do that.”\nPyatetsky, a Chicago native, said he feels Bloomington offers an array of bars, but, it lacks the night life that cities offer. “How is it possible when we have so many people from Indianapolis, New York and Chicago? Do they all go to dive bars at home? I don’t think so,” Pyatetsky said.\nDanielle McClelland, executive director of the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, said she hopes the event will provide a great place for people to dance.\n “We are really interested in bringing people to the theater that has not been for any other events, so they can see what a wonderful venue it is,” McClelland said.\nThere will be a cash bar serving a variety of beer and wine. McClelland said that although guests must be 21 with a valid ID to be served alcohol, the BCT has a great advantage because guests must only be 18 to attend the event. There is a $5 cover.\n“We have experienced a great deal of success over the last five years with our PRIDE Film Festival dance party,” McClelland said. They are hoping for a turnout of about 400 people.\nSophomore Krysten Beck said she has heard of the event, and might attend, though she is uncertain as to all it entails.\n“I don’t even know what to expect,” Beck said.\nIf the event is successful, McClelland said the BCT hopes to have a monthly dance party.\n“When Bullwinkle’s closed and there was no longer a dedicated dance club in Bloomington we began to shop around looking for community partners who might be interested in creating a regular dance community at the theater,” McClelland said. “We just needed to find some hot DJ’s and some people who were willing to promote it in the campus.”\n“I’d totally love to get my groove on,” Beck said.\nMcClelland hopes that people who came in the fall will tell all of their friends.\n“We hope people will come out and give it a shot,” McClelland said. “The event will provide a nice relaxed atmosphere where people can have a really good time.”\n“We want to create a unique and special night-life concept,” Pyatetsky said. “We want people to soak it all up and remember it the next day.”