Sunday, Oct. 13

County joins preservation initiative

Monroe County has become part of the Preserve America initiative in order to preserve its historical heritage.\nAs a part of the initiative, the U.S. recognizes the community as nationally taking part in historic preservation.\nExecutive director of Bloomington Restorations Steve Wyatt encouraged Monroe County to apply for the initiative. \n“We’ve played the supportive role and encouraged the review board to go forward in pursuing the initiative — our department wrote a letter of recommendation,” Wyatt said.\nJudy Rodenstein, Preserve America’s state coordinator in Washington, D.C., said the main purpose of the initiative is preserving not only buildings around the community but also in rural areas. \n“What we are trying to do is partner with local communities and have them protect and use their local historic resources for pride and community, educating citizens about their story,” Rodenstein said.\nBecoming a part of the initiative allows communities to apply for grants to be used for preservation and gives authority to use Preserve America promotional material, and the Visitor’s Bureau of the state tourism offices list the community in directories for heritage tourism destinations.\nThe designation for the initiative, which was formally announced Dec. 20, comes from first lady Laura Bush. The first lady is the honorary chair of Preserve America.\nCommunities must have a population of more than 200,000 to be considered for the initiative. Also, a neighboring city’s mayor must endorse the application. \nMonroe County is using this initiative to develop the first driving tour brochure in the Maple Grove Road area — Indiana’s first rural historic district. The chair of the historic preservation project, Cheryl Ann Munson, said the greatest aspect of the initiative is the education provided to the public by way of the endless possibilities of preservation. \nAside from encouraging visitors to take advantage of the driving tour in the Maple Grove Road area, Munson said the area is ideal for an activity Bloomington is known for — cycling.\n“Maple Grove Road is a great place to bicycle and learn history all at the same time,” Munson said.\nThe greatest thing about grants, Munson said, is that they provide hope of preserving multiple historical sites. \n“When historical information is provided to people about a community, they tend to pay more attention,” Munson said.\nOne historical fixture that will be restored with a grant is a barn made of timber from a medieval forest that was used during the Civil War. It is being reconstructed for the use of day campers as well as family reunions and will be placed in Karst farm, part of Monroe parks and restoration. \nCultural tourism rising in Monroe County allows a greater advantage to college visitors, Munson said. \n“Visitors will soon know that Bloomington is more than basketball and a great lake,” Munson said.