Sunday, Oct. 13

Hapkido group presents a unique twist on exercise

Self defense club provides fun, relaxed atmosphere

Chris Pickrell

As the Hapkido Self Defense Club gathers for their its meeting to practice new techniques and deepen internal memorization, P.O.D. blares loudly through the stereo, pumping up the club’s members. \nThe Hapkido Self Defense Club gives a unique twist on exercising, compared to other popular team sports on campus. \nMost of the people who join the club have been in or are currently enrolled in an academic self-defense class. Brian Pike, IU senior and club president, said the relaxed club atmosphere invites people to join whether they are enrolled in a class or not. The club’s enrollment remains steady with an average of 10 to 12 members attending practices throughout the week.\nDuring an average week, the club offers eight hours of instructed practice, as well as eight hours of non-instructed practice. \n“Since we meet four nights a week to train and practice (and) each teacher teaches different things with different styles, the club tailors to individual members’ preference in attendance,” Pike said.\n“The club is strictly individual – someone can take this sport at his or her own pace because this is not a team-based sport,” Pike said.\nMembers have opportunities to advance their skills by testing for higher ranking belts. Testing occurs, on average, twice a semester within the club meeting times. Students can be tested by someone who has a belt two ranks higher than themselves. Therefore, this club does not require a headmaster of Hapkido or self-defense to perform the tests.\n“I joined the club to get more practice,” said junior Julia Ramsey, who is testing for her purple belt soon. \nStudents said they join the club for many reasons, aside from the extracurricular aspect. \n“I took the self-defense class to learn how to defend myself and joined the Hapkido club to be involved in something active, and I definitely see it as a useful skill to learn,” Ramsey said.\nThe club’s members are diverse, with participants’ majors ranging from sociology to cello performance.\nClaudio Sainz-Luiselli has been the coach of the IU Hapkido Self Defense Club for the last three years. He said he has seen a change in the interest of members to join the club. \n“These days there is a lot more interest in training with gun defenses, whereas three years ago the interest was more in self-defense in fist fights,” Sainz-Luiselli said. \nOver the years, Sainz-Luiselli said he has enjoyed watching some of his students earn black belts. Also, a goal of Sainz-Luiselli’s that still lingers is to see more females join the club, not just take the courses. Many females enroll in the self-defense class with high hopes of gaining knowledge and skills to protect and defend themselves; however, the attendance of females in the club has been slow to increase over the years, he said.\nThe club meets at 7:15 p.m. Monday through Friday in the Health, Physical Education and Recreation building, room 095. All students are welcome to come to a session and join. The club requires dues, but prospective students will receive two free trial sessions.