Sunday, Oct. 13

Hoosiers go 4-0 over the holidays

The final table of the 2004 “Shark Hunt” Texas hold ’em tournament was a 9-man showdown.PHOTOS BY RICK NEWKIRK

The No. 11 IU men’s basketball team went 4-0 during winter break, extending its winning streak to eight games.\nOn Dec. 15, the Hoosiers cruised to a 100-52 victory over Western Carolina. Freshman guard Eric Gordon scored 26 points just twelve days after sitting out against Kentucky because of a bruised tailbone. \nEight days later, IU overcame a sluggish first half performance and pulled away after halftime, taking down Coppin State, 73-46. Senior forward D.J. White led the Hoosiers with 21 points.\nIU extended its home winning streak to 26 games after defeating Chicago State 97-59 on Dec. 29. Gordon and White scored 22 and 21 points respectively for the Hoosiers.\nOn Wednesday, the Hoosiers opened Big Ten play against Iowa. Controlling most of the second half, IU escaped Iowa City with a 79-76 win despite the heroics of Iowa guard Justin Johnson, who scored 18 points in the final two minutes of the game. Gordon led the Hoosiers once again with 25 points and junior guard/forward Jamarcus Ellis filled the stat sheet with 15 points, seven rebounds and seven assists.\nThe Hoosiers resume action Tuesday when they face Michigan in Ann Arbor. The game will be televised at 7 p.m. on ESPN.