Sunday, Oct. 13

Hoosiers pull out double-overtime win over Golden Gophers

Brandon Foltz

Nothing comes easy in Big Ten basketball. Both the IU women’s basketball team and their counterparts from Minnesota learned that lesson Thursday night. \nBut with 23.3 seconds left in the second period of overtime, the tired rim at Assembly Hall gave just enough for Nikki Smith’s free throw to hit the backboard and fall through the net, appearing to seal the thrilling game. \nYet it would take another made 3-pointer, two missed free throws from IU freshman guard Haylie Linn and a crucial offensive rebound before sophomore guard Jamie Braun could sink two free throws of her own to cement her team’s 80-77 double-overtime win.\n“Today, two good teams matched up,” IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack said after the game. “Then, it became who’s heart was going to be biggest, and Indiana decided that our heart was going to be the biggest heart.” \nWith the win, the Hoosiers (11-6, 4-2) move into a share of second place in the conference, only a game behind Ohio State.\nIU led much of regulation – at times by as many as 12 – and the Hoosiers made Minnesota play even or from behind most of the game. In addition, IU limited Minnesota forward Leslie Knight and guard Emily Fox – the second- and third-leading scorers in the Big Ten – to 25 total points. \nMinnesota coach Pam Borton called both overtimes “second chances” her team failed to take advantage of. \nSmith led IU in scoring with 21 points on 5-of-12 shooting and 4-of-9 from behind the arc. \nThe senior guard had eight points in the last 2:10 of the game, going 5-of-5 from the charity stripe and hit a 3-pointer with a minute and a half left that put IU up by four, a lead they would not surrender. \n“This game is probably the most fun game I’ve played in a long time,” Smith said. “Earlier (this season), I was really tight, and now, it’s just like ‘What do I have to lose?’ I have two more months left, and I’m gonna play with everything I have.”\nSmith wasn’t the only Hoosier to find her way into double-digit scoring. Junior guard/forward Kim Roberson, junior forwards Whitney Thomas and Amber Jackson and sophomore guard Jamie Braun all registered 10 or more points through 50 minutes of play. \nJackson, Thomas and Roberson all played key roles for the Hoosiers, as the trio accounted for 35 of the Hoosiers’ 49 rebounds, which totaled 11 more than Minnesota’s 38. \nJackson said she and her teammates knew coming into Thursday’s game that a win would require resiliency and toughness in the post. “I expect that night in and night out, that it’s gonna be tough,” Jackson said. “Every team in the Big Ten has strong post players, so down the line, I’m just trying to work hard, and I know they’re tired too.”\nThe team next travels to Michigan State on Sunday to face off against the Spartans (11-8, 3-4), a team Legette-Jack once coached. Those days, she said, are over. \n“This is my home,” Legette-Jack said. “I passed through Michigan State. This is my home.”\nAfter the game, Legette-Jack said she is pleased so far with the maturity – both on and off the floor – \nher young team has displayed so far this season.\n“We’re just gonna continue to grow this thing until we cut a net, down, that’s our goal,” Legette-Jack said.