Sunday, Oct. 13

IU looks to piece together team puzzle

Colin Thompson

The IU wrestling team has everything it needs to be successful. The box is open and the puzzle is out on the table. Now it’s just a matter of making everything fit before conference play begins.\n“We’re trying to put all the pieces together,” senior Brandon Becker said.\nCoach Duane Goldman agrees, saying the puzzle is almost complete. But with a couple of setbacks at last Saturday’s National Duals, he understands there is still work to be done before his team is fully ready.\n“We were obviously disappointed after the losses last weekend,” Goldman said, “but we fought hard. I was very pleased with our attitude and how we competed.”\nThe No. 17 Hoosiers lost a tough match to Missouri in the first round of the Duals before yielding a come-from-behind victory to Cornell in the preliminary consolation bracket. According to Goldman, Saturday’s Hoosier Quad is a good chance to prepare for a Big Ten season that starts Friday at home against the No. 13 Wisconsin Badgers.\n“This being a quad, it will be a very long day,” Goldman said. “We want to wrestle well because we have a chance to accomplish a lot this weekend.”\nIU will host Gardner-Webb, Air Force and the University of Indianapolis beginning at 11 a.m. Saturday morning at the University Gymnasium. Goldman says a big fan turnout will do wonders for his team.\n“We want a lot of people to come and cheer us on, especially for the Wisconsin meet,” said Goldman. “We have a bunch of student athletes out here representing IU and they would like nothing better to have people come show their support.”\nHeadlining the Hoosiers this weekend are a pair of underclassmen with a lot to prove. Sophomore Angel Escobedo and freshman Kurt Kinser have made news in the beginning of the season by posting impressive performances.\nAccording to intermatwrestle.com, Escobedo is currently ranked 2nd nationally in the 125-pound weight class. He captured his second-straight title at the Midlands on Dec. 30. Escobedo has aimed high for the rest of the season.\n“(Winning at the Midlands) was a great accomplishment,” Escobedo said. “It’s part of the triple crown for wrestling. Then you have the Big 10 championships and then nationals.”\nEscobedo admits he must improve if he wants to complete his triple crown.\n“I still need to learn how to be better on my feet and how to dominate in all positions,” Escobedo said.\nKinser is approaching uncharted territory for a Hoosier. With at least 13 matches remaining on the schedule, Kinser is four pins away from tying a school record for most in a season. Despite nearing the record, he puts the team first in front of himself.\n“I’m trying not to think about that stuff,” Kinser said. “Records and things are good, but a win this weekend would be great.”