Tuesday, Oct. 1

Lecturer will speak about religion, homosexuality

Jeffrey Barnes, who describes himself on his Web site as “one man exploring the myths, fears and joys of being gay and Christian” will speak at 8:30 p.m. today in the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.\nIn Barnes’ performance, “Remember Who Made You,” he takes on the issue of religion and homosexuality through performance art. \n“My goal is to let people in the gay community know that there are places where we are welcome to practice our spirituality,” Barnes said. “And for those not in the gay community, I want to give them a chance to see different perspectives in a non-threatening way.”\nIn doing so, he challenges people to think about something that is often controversial. Barry Magee, the assistant director for diversity education at IU, said Barnes’ performance “encourages people to learn, grow and understand in an effort to broaden their understanding.” \nMagee also said he believes it is important for people to know that different faiths are accepting of gay people.\nDoug Bauder, coordinator of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Student Support Services, who has seen the show, said it is extremely intimate and pulls the audience into each experience fully and effectively. \n“He brings sexuality and spirituality together and speaks to people’s personal questions dealing with sexuality,” Bauder said.\nSenior Chad Snyder said he was compelled to get Barnes to come to IU after he saw Barnes’ performance and thought it was important for students, staff and community members to witness his portrayal of numerous characters struggling with the co-mingling of sexuality and Christianity. \n“Most people I’ve talked to don’t know that religion and sexuality can co-exist without being at odds,” Snyder said.\nThe performance isn’t just geared toward those who are gay, lesbian or transgender; it’s also for their friends and families, as well as those who struggle with the issue of the intertwining of sexuality and spirituality. The performance is designed to raise awareness about what the gay community goes through spiritually, but it dually challenges others to think about their stance on sexuality and spirituality. \nThe event will take place at 8:30 p.m. today in the Grand Hall of the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. The 50-minute performance is open to the public free of charge, and will be followed by a discussion session.\n“Overall, the performance will allow people to explore themselves because the idea of sexuality and religion is one worth exploring for everyone, regardless of faith, tradition or sexual orientation,” Magee said.