Wednesday, Oct. 2

Looking good if weather’s bad

As I was walking home Tuesday afternoon, my new jeans and leather boots completely drenched, a thought occurred to me: There are some things a girl needs to get through the Indiana winter. \nGiven the unseasonably warm weather earlier this week, I decided to make up a list of the five items that I think any girl needs to survive what can be very unpredictable weather here in southern Indiana. Most of the items are very common sense, and I couldn’t imagine not having them in my closet, if only for those weird days in January when the mercury hits 65 and it pours down rain.\n1. A good pair of boots: Whether you wear them every day or only on the days that it snows or rains, a good pair of boots is essential. Having spent the past few winters without a good pair, I can say now that I don’t know how I survived without this essential footwear. Whether they are rain boots, leather, pleather or any other material, a good pair of boots is something every girl should have. I would not recommend suede, though, as the weather would be murder on the material. There would be no removing the water and salt stains.\n2. A fleece jacket, any color, any brand: A fleece jacket is essential solely because it is nearly impossible to predict the weather in this part of the country. This type of outerwear will keep its wearer warm in the event of cooler temperatures, and will at the same time provide moderately good protection from the rain, if needed. Fleece is also breathable enough that it would not keep you too warm in warmer-than-expected temperatures. \n3. An umbrella: Own one of these if only for the fact that earlier this week it poured. Also, no one likes getting soaked on the way to class. It’s just not a good look. \n4. A pashmina: Pashminas offer an alternative to the average scarf. A brightly colored pashmina spices up any winter outfit. Choose a color that compliments the palette of your wardrobe, as this can be a very versatile item. Also keep in mind the way that the pashmina is worn, as it can be tied in any one of several chic ways.\n5. A good cardigan sweater (or two): Whether this piece is made of wool or cotton, it is one of the most important pieces in a wardrobe. A good cardigan sweater in a neutral or basic color will serve as a cover-all in the winter months. This piece looks classic and chic at the same time. It is important to choose the right material for your wardrobe. Wool will keep the wearer warmer, while cotton will be more comfortable during the spring months. \nDressing for the season is always hard, especially with extraneous factors that make the weather so unpredictable. But, I believe that with these items, any girl will have the tools she needs to survive in what can be the most inconvenient weather in the region, while looking fabulous at the same time.