Wednesday, Oct. 2

Luna Moth gallery features galaxy-inspired works

Eco-Center offers visitors local art on display

Brandon Foltz

In a small, sterile office in a Walnut Street strip mall, local artist Margaret Gohn attempts to add a bit of color to the yellowed, bland walls. In several paintings by Gohn, brilliant blue swirls depict nebulas and galaxies in the sparse lobby of the Caldwell Center for Culture and Ecology. \nThe Luna Moth Gallery exhibit at the Eco-Center will remain on display until Feb. 27 when it will be replaced by a new exhibit. \nGohn said she was “inspired by looking at space photography-the colors and the chaos.” \nSeveral large works hang from the walls, while several spherical nebulas are propped up to keep from rolling away. \nGohn said each work takes about a month, adding different layers of papier mache and canvas to give a smooth finish. The texture is complete with a layer of shiny “acrylic mediums” in cool hues. \nShe said that she hopes the art will bring more traffic to the Eco-Center, which is a collaboration of different environmental action groups around Bloomington. \nGohn herself is involved with the Center for Sustainable Living, working with community outreach programs, including discussion groups on ecology. \nDirector Drew Laird said the center has only existed about a year and that “Margaret really wanted to create a little art space to get people to come in and find out about the Eco-Center.” \nThe center houses local organizations such as the Forest Alliance and the Center for Sustainable Living. \nAs an employee, he said the art really adds to the otherwise undecorated office and that he hopes to get enough art for the long hallway. Some of Gohn’s work hangs in an office, such as an older piece featuring sunflowers. \n“That’s probably my favorite,” said Laird, speaking of the bright green, yellow and orange floral canvas. \nHe said the center will try to get new artists every month and focus on nature themes. He said the center’s major issue is working to stop deforestation in the area. \nAt the end of the month Gohn’s work will be moved. \n“It may show up other places,” she said. \nThe works are for sale, ranging from $200 to $1,600.