Sunday, Oct. 13

Penn State fails to zone out IU

Penn State’s recipe for sticking with the Hoosiers?\nDon’t give them anything for free.\nThe Nittany Lions limited the Hoosiers to their fewest free throw attempts in Assembly Hall this season. IU took just 17 free throw shots during Sunday’s 81-65 win against Penn State. Heading into the contest, the Hoosiers averaged 25.8 per game. \n“We were just trying to play our zone and keep them away from the basket,” Penn State coach Ed DeChellis said. “We were trying to make them make perimeter jump shots.” \nFrom the 1:13 mark in the first half until the 8:27 mark of the second half, IU did not shoot a single free throw. During that almost 12-minute stretch, the Nittany Lions equaled IU’s scoring production – 24 points.\nIn the closing 8:27, IU shot seven free throws and outscored Penn State 23-9 to ice the game. \nPenn State’s zone defense – used in part to force perimeter shooting and limit fouls committed – hindered IU’s ability to drive to the basket.\nPenn State used a 2-3 zone and a 1-3-1 zone combined with a smaller lineup to mitigate IU’s physical and athletic advantages. \n“Automatically you see a zone, some people get a little bit passive,” sophomore guard Armon Bassett said. \nInstead of penetrating the zone, the Hoosiers settled for perimeter shots and were successful at that. IU ended the game 11-of-23 from behind the 3-point line. \nBut it was only when they were successful from the foul line that the Hoosiers put away a pesky Penn State team. \n“At the end of the day, you have to make shots,” IU coach Kelvin Sampson said. “You have to get to the free-throw line.”\nIn the past, Sampson has said his team’s success at the free throw line would be a big component of IU’s offense.\nIt has been a big component in star freshman Eric Gordon’s arsenal.\nFollowing Sunday’s game, Gordon was tied for third nationally for most made free throws (116), trailing only North Carolina’s Tyler Hansbrough (153) and Niagara’s Charron Fisher (126). Gordon had double-digit free-throw attempts in nine of the 15 games he has played and averaged 8.8 free-throw attempts per game heading into the Penn State game.\nOn Sunday, the freshman didn’t take a foul shot until 5:28 remained in the game. \nGordon went 4-of-4 from the charity stripe Sunday.\nAfter the game, Gordon said he still needed to find his groove on his jump shot, adding that he had been in a shooting slump for the two games prior to Sunday’s win. \n“I always have good confidence in shots,” he said. “I just need to relax and let it flow.”\nInstead of slashing and driving toward the basket, he did most of his damage from beyond the arc, shooting 5-of-11 from behind the 3-point line. He finished with a game-high 25 points.