Wednesday, Oct. 2

What is art? So true you’ll laugh

In 1989, a television show premiered that had people shielding their children’s eyes at its depiction of immoral religion, disrespectful children and corrupt social servants. After 19 seasons, 23 Emmys, a feature-length film and an estimated gross of over $800 million, “The Simpsons” remains the longest-running animated series and the longest-running situation comedy in America. It has paved the way for other animated comedies, such as “King of the Hill,” “Family Guy” and “South Park,” all series that have solidified their positions in television history and even American culture.\nFor a genre that the general public sees as something lighthearted and not very serious, why is comedy so successful? In contrast, the average television drama series lasts around six seasons. Are shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” really more serious than our animated sitcoms? If you look deeper into the funny shows and movies that you watch, you will find that comedy is as effective and influential as it is because it is the best genre through which truth can be revealed in popular entertainments. And if you look at the history of comedy, you will find that this is \nthe case.\nIn 1940, Charlie Chaplin released his first talking picture, “The Great Dictator.” It depicted German dictator Adolf Hitler in a buffoonish way, while harshly criticizing his policies and ideologies. One year later, the U.S. government abandoned its isolationist policy and entered World War II, not only in Japan, but in Nazi-occupied Europe as well.\nIn 1955, Frank Sinatra starred in the highly controversial comedy, “The Man with the Golden Arm,” the opening titles of which depict the paper cut-out of a heroin addict’s arm. The film tells the story of a junkie, who after being released from prison, learns to excel in gambling in order to feed his heroin fixes. The Motion Picture Association of America refused to certify the film because of its controversial subject, but that didn’t stop the film from being nominated for three Academy Awards. The next year, the association began to certify films that dealt with the subjects of drugs, kidnapping, abortion \nand prostitution.\nHere, on this campus, comedy is everywhere. The Union Board comedy committee works diligently to bring comedians like Lewis Black and David Sedaris to our campus. There are five comedy troupes on campus, dedicated to realistic performance of comedic situations. The IU Theatre Department produces creative, high-quality comedy. \nConsider this: Who would you be more likely to run into on the street — Homer Simpson or McDreamy? Maybe we love comedy not because it gives us the ability to laugh off life’s problems and forget about reality for a while, but because comedy is life and ingrains us back into our reality in the perfect blend of harsh criticism and hilarity. The success of comedy throughout the years no doubt has a considerable amount to do with its constant success at channeling the truth.