Wednesday, Oct. 2

35 Pipers Piping: Traditional Scottish, Irish groups play variety of songs

Chris Pickrell

Kilts and bagpipes were in abundance Thursday night at the IU Auditorium. The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards and the Band of the Coldstream Guards performed music from all around the United Kingdom and America.\nAppearing in the traditional attire of kilts, tall bearskin hats and sporrans (the pouch that hangs in the front of the kilt), the Pipes and Drums of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards joined the Coldstream Guards, who were dressed in red military coats and tri-corner hats. Their music evoked images of Scotland and Ireland for audience members. \n“It was odd to hear bagpipes on the stage,” said senior Abigail Scott, a third-year volunteer at the Auditorium, “but it was nice to hear a wider selection of music.” \nThey played a selection of classical military marching fare mixed with some folk music from the region, from “Danny Boy” to “God Save the Queen” to “Amazing Grace,” a song the Coldstream Guards took to No. 1 on the British charts in 1971. They finished the night with a few American songs, “Yankee Doodle,” “The Stars and Stripes Forever” and the anthems of the various branches of American military.\nAudience members said the talented drummers, spinning sticks between almost every beat while marching in perfect formation, were particularly enjoyable.\n“It was a real treat,” attendee Lou Moir said.\nThe band was an excellent choice for the auditorium, and appeared to enjoy being in Bloomington as much as the audience enjoyed having them. They mingled with the crowd for photos at intermission and had a piper playing solo in the lobby after the performance to give a closer look at the costume and instrument. At the end of the night, people of all ages seemed to be pleased by the show. \n“It was great,” Jack McNeil, 11, said after the show. “I loved it.”