Wednesday, Oct. 2

Auction money to support kids

The IU chapter of One Here...One There will host its first annual silent art auction and art benefit today at Upland Brewery to raise money for children in sub-Saharan Africa. \n“Since we’re an upcoming organization, we wanted to come up with something new and elegant,” said Paul Commons, group president and IU junior. “We’re doing it because it’s going to be fun for the students and, obviously, we want to raise some money for our program.” \nOne Here...One There is a new campus group looking to cover the costs of impoverished students’ educations in Sub-Saharan Africa. Commons started the IU chapter in the fall of 2006 to give African students hope. \n“We’re hoping it will be a fun way for people to give back,” sophomore Carolyn Taylor said. \nBeyond providing profits to Bloomington’s art community, One Here...One There understands the role of wealthier nations in the development of humanity. \n“Education is a fundamental human right all people should be able to utilize,” Commons said. “What we’re trying to accomplish goes hand in hand with ending poverty, providing basic heath care and preventing AIDS. The economic differences between our country and a sub-Saharan country are unbelievable.”\nThe benefit will showcase art from various artists from the IU community as well as authentic African artwork. One Here...One There hosted an art exhibit Jan. 6-31 at the Indiana Memorial Union, which showcased some of what will be on display today. The exhibit spawned the idea for the auction. \n“Its going to be a very fun and relaxed evening where people can come out and enjoy art,” said Joey Shikany, vice president of marketing and IU junior. “We hope for a good crowd who will socialize and enjoy a good start to a Friday evening.”\nOne unique feature of the benefit will be works provided by an African art collector from Indianapolis. The collector buys art in Africa, sells the works in the U.S. and donates proceeds to schools in Africa. Commons said economically, a little bit of money goes a long way for the children. \n“Literally, for little or next to nothing you can educate someone in Africa,” Commons said. “We students go out and easily spend $10 or $20 a night. That’s enough for a child’s education for an entire year.” \nIn the fall, One Here...One There will attempt to collect 10,000 signatures from the student body to enable students to donate money to the program on their bursar bills, similar to what programs such as IU Dance Marathon can do. \n“When you educate the lowest class of the population it makes sense,” Commons said.