Sunday, Oct. 13

Bloomington worship centers to have Ash Wednesday celebrations

Hillel, St. Paul to provide interfaith services for public

Wednesday will not be the average hump day for many of IU’s students. For some, Ash Wednesday will be their first step in preparation for the Lenten season.\nSt. Paul Catholic Center on 17th Street will be holding three Catholic Masses on Wednesday and two interfaith services Wednesday. \nThe interfaith services will begin at 12:10 p.m. and 9 p.m. \nAnother interfaith service will take place at noon at the Hillel Center. Both services will involve an Ash Wednesday service but only the Catholic Mass will include communion. The Masses will take place at St. Paul at 7 a.m., 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. \n“Lent means a lot to us,” said Father Bob Keller, pastor at St. Paul Catholic Center. “We use the 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter as preparation to focus on the resurrection of Christ.” \nThe preparation time before Easter not only helps prepare hearts for the Easter Mass and services, but also creates a deeper relationship with Christ, Keller said. This is intended to create more maturity in a Christian’s life, he said.\n“The purpose of preparation is to grow in the direction towards Christ,” Keller said. \nDuring Mass on Wednesday, attendees will receive communion and ashes, though communion will not be given in the interfaith services. \n“It will be a more solemn and respectful mass with more traditional music,” said junior Marie Coomes, a member of St. Paul’s Student Life Team. \nReceiving the ashes on one’s forehead is not only intended for Catholics, Keller said. Coomes said the idea behind this tradition shows one’s humility in the world because of Christ’s death on the cross.\n“The ashes that will be used on Ash Wednesday are from the burning of the palms that were burnt Palm Sunday last year,” she said. \nFollowing Ash Wednesday, Coomes said Christians will continue to prepare themselves for the resurrection of Christ by fasting, giving alms and praying. \n“The idea is to learn control,” Keller said, “especially when fasting, you need to be aware when enough is enough and when to move onto another form of preparation, whether that is prayer or giving alms.”\nPeople can also stop by St. Paul Catholic Center during regular business hours Wednesday to receive ashes.