Wednesday, Oct. 2

Center to host ‘A Call for Peace’

ArtsWeek 2008 initiates political discussion with art

Regional artists, led by jazz pianist Monika Herzig and Pulitzer-Prize nominated poet Norbert Krapf, will share their artistic creations in “A Call for Peace: Imagine – Indiana in Music and Words” on Feb. 24.\nPart of Bloomington’s ArtsWeek 2008, “A Call for Peace” will feature performing artists including Tom Roznowski, Scott Russell Sanders and Carolyn Dutton. The event will showcase poems, music, pictures, story-telling in song, readings and visual art. The show’s themes will cover war, personal conflict, racial conflict and war with nature, emphasizing that “general peace comes out of any conflict,” Herzig said.\nThis year, Bloomington’s 24th annual celebration is themed “Politics and Art.” Running from Feb. 20 to March 1, the performance is sponsored by the IU Office of the President and the IU Office of the Vice Provost for Research. \nDuring ArtsWeek, an appreciation of art will be promoted through both the city and campus, and people will be able to see that Bloomington, according to ArtsWeek’s slogan, is a town “where the arts are always in season.” \nHerzig said she and Krapf created a CD last year that focuses on politics and art. They decided they wanted to “add lots of other dimensions” and create a multimedia presentation that would interest more people. That’s when Herzig created “A Call for Peace,” she said. \n“We hope to make (the audience) think about conflict and conflict resolution,” Krapf said. \nThe presentation will give audience members time to write their thoughts on conflict and possibly share it with others after the show, he added. \nThe event will “show how artists can work together across the genres,” Krapf said.\n“I want it to be a very reflexive setting where people can shed everything that’s outside and focus on the moment,” Herzig said. “Maybe some people will come up with ways to solve their own conflicts.” \nWhile many ArtsWeek events will center on conflicts, “A Call for Peace” differs because it will offer a solution to the conflicts, Herzig said.\nKrapf has the same hopes for the event as Herzig. \n“We’re all sharing our energy to lift up our audience and to stimulate them,” Krapf said. “If you start to write, you’re getting inside yourself and you’re engaging your inner self, and that’s beautiful.” \nThe event will take place in the third floor auditorium of the John Waldron Arts Center at 122 S. Walnut St. Tickets, which are available at www.bloomingtonarts.info, cost $5 for adults and $3 for seniors and students.