Sunday, Oct. 13

Class of 2010 prospect 'interested' in Hoosiers

Long Island native 'thinks the world of Indiana' basketball

COURTESY Rivals.com

Two of IU’s four November signees, Devin Ebanks and Terrell Holloway, hail from New York.\nDespite the October resignation of assistant coach Rob Senderoff, IU’s former New York recruiting connection, the Hoosiers might still be in a “New York State of Mind” come 2010 if they sign sophomore standout Tobias Harris of Long Island.\nLast summer, Senderoff helped attract Harris to IU’s summer Elite Camp. It was there that Harris, a 6-foot-7 15-year-old, met the Hoosiers’ coaching staff and spent three days learning about the basketball program. \n“He’s very interested in Indiana,” Tobias Harris’ father, Torrel Harris Sr., said. “We flew down (to Bloomington) and we got to talk to all the coaches. He just thinks the world of Indiana.”\nOn Jan. 24, IU coach Kelvin Sampson became the first collegiate coach to offer a scholarship to Tobias Harris. Since then, Tobias Harris has picked up an offer from Connecticut, and said he is also interested in Arizona, Maryland, Rutgers and Florida.\nHarris has been labeled a major prospect in the class of 2010 by several recruiting services. On Monday, the sophomore exploded for 52 points, improving his average to 31.0 points per game for his 18-0 Half Hollow Hills West High School team. Though he can play any position from point guard to power forward, Harris said he is most comfortable at shooting guard.\nThe sophomore said his strengths are shooting and “just playing in the flow of the game.” He also said he hopes to improve on his defense and overall quickness. \n“I think that his agility is not up to par is because he is growing so fast,” his father said. “This summer he was 6-4; now he’s 6-7, so he hasn’t grown into his body. He’s probably going to be 6-10 the way he’s growing.”\nHarris’ high school coach Bill Mitaritonna said Harris has not only grown, but has also gotten stronger. When the season ends, however, he said Harris will begin to work hard in the weight room. \n“Once he gets that under his belt, he’s going to be extremely dangerous, already more than he is,” Mitaritonna said. \nDespite the early interest from several college basketball powerhouses, Harris isn’t ready to make up his mind.\n“I want to be patient on it and I don’t want to rush any decisions,” he said. \nHarris, already his high school’s all-time leading scorer, said he is mostly considering academics and coaching staffs when it comes to choosing his future school. After their trip to Bloomington this summer, both Harris and his father gained a lot of respect for the entire Hoosier program, as well as the school.\n“Indiana is great,” his father said. “The tradition at Indiana is unbelievable. The campus is unbelievable.”\nOf the other schools Harris is considering, one that stands out is Arizona. Harris’ cousin, Portland Trail Blazers center Channing Frye, played for the Wildcats and was instrumental in their 2005 run to the Elite Eight.\nThe Harris family saw Frye’s success, but Tobias Harris wants to do things differently from his cousin. He wants to win a national championship.\nOffering a scholarship to the talented sophomore shows that Sampson wants one badly, too.