Wednesday, Oct. 2

Country star to perform at Bluebird

It’s OK, it’s so nice, it’s ... just another day in Bloomington? This won’t be the case when Phil Vassar takes over The Bluebird Thursday night. Bloomington might just become a country music “paradise.” \nVassar will bring his first-ever acoustic tour to Bloomington at 9 p.m. Thursday at The Bluebird. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com or at the door. \nLabel-mate Jennifer Hanson will rev up the crowd with the opening performance. \nDespite it being his first acoustic go-around, fans are enthusiastic about his performance. \n“It’s more on an intimate level. It’s like he is putting on a concert for a small group of people,” said freshman Jennifer Ziegner. “It’s more stripped down.” \nThe “stripped down” atmosphere that Vassar is likely to create will coincide with the smaller environment that The Bluebird provides. \n“We like to make it authentic,” said Bluebird owner Dave Kubiak. “We like to get artists that are of high quality.” \nVassar is no stranger to being recognized as one of the top country artists around. He’s racked up accolades, including two American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers Songwriter of the Year awards, 2000 Billboard Magazine Top New Country Artist, 1998 Billboard Country Songwriter of the Year, 2000 Music Row Magazine Breakthrough Artist of the Year and The Academy of Country Music Top New Male Vocalist of the Year in 2001. \nVassar has also tagged several No. 1 hits throughout his career, including “Just Another Day in Paradise” and “In A Real Love.” Vassar has also written hits for other artists, including Jo Dee Messina, Tim McGraw and Alan Jackson.\n“Phil has written a lot of hits so I’m expecting a fantastic show,” Kubiak said. \nThe Virginia native adds an emotional element to the tunes because the lyrics of Vassar’s songs are rooted in his personal experiences. \n“His lyrics speak and I think everyone can connect with them,” said graduate \nstudent Marc Lodyga. \nAccompanied by Vassar, Hanson will test her strings on stage, too. Her debut single, “Beautiful Goodbye,” has given a jump start to her career. Like Vassar, Hanson began her career as a songwriter, writing the lyrics to “Leave the Pieces” sung by The Wreckers and “Different World” sung by Bucky Covington. \nBoth artists will be performing songs they have written for other artists in addition to their own songs. Vassar’s songwriting flair spans all over country music with songs like Messina’s “Bye Bye” and “I’m Alright,” and McGraw’s “In a Little While” and “Next Thirty Years.” \nThis will be both artists’ first visit to The Bluebird, but Kubiak expects a country music-loving crowd, as does Lodyga. \n“It will be a little different crowd for the Bluebird because it will draw in more country fans,” Lodyga said.