Sunday, Oct. 13

Decision on Sampson’s fate will be made Friday

IU Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan has four more days to investigate new allegations of recruiting violations by IU men’s basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and staff and, ultimately, determine whether Sampson will remain IU’s coach. IU President Michael McRobbie announced the start of a seven-day investigation at a press conference Friday. \nMcRobbie said he expects Greenspan to issue a recommendation by Friday about how the University should proceed regarding Sampson’s employment and how to handle the NCAA’s allegations. \nMcRobbie did not say how long he would take to act on the recommendation, though he said he wishes to be expeditious. \n“I am deeply disappointed by these allegations – and I share that disappointment with all those who love and support Indiana University,” McRobbie said Friday, reading from a prepared statement. “I fully understand the desire by many people for us to move quickly to bring this situation to resolution, and we intend to do just that.” \nSampson has and will continue to coach during the investigation. The No. 13 Hoosiers cruised to an 80-61 win against No. 10 Michigan State Saturday. \nAfter the game, Sampson declined to say whether he agreed with the University’s investigation. \nGreenspan did not make any statement or field any questions from reporters at the Friday press conference. He denied, through IU Athletics spokesman J.D. Campbell, an interview request from the Indiana Daily Student. \nGreenspan did grant an interview to ESPN’s Andy Katz on Saturday and told him that seven days was enough to conduct an adequate investigation. \n“More than anything though, (Greenspan) said there will not be a post-season ban for Indiana,” Katz recalled during an ESPN broadcast. “This is obviously about Sampson and the staff, not about the players.” \nIU Vice President and general counsel Dorothy Frapwell, Athletics faculty representative Bruce Jaffee and Indianapolis-based law firm Ice Miller will assist Greenspan in the investigation. McRobbie said he is “very confident” in the people he has appointed to investigate. \nNo new interviews will be conducted during the investigation, Katz reported. Instead, Greenspan and others will use transcripts from the NCAA’s investigation to make their determination. \nMcRobbie said Sampson’s contract does not allow the coach to be suspended with pay. If there is a recommendation to fire Sampson, he will have a 10-day period to appeal his termination, during which he would be suspended without pay. \nMcRobbie said he has not talked with Sampson since the allegations were released. \n“I want to make it clear that all of us are going into this with no presumptions,” McRobbie said. “I do not know what conclusions the investigators will come to regarding these new allegations.” \nMcRobbie’s press conference lasted less than 10 minutes. \n“As president, I believe the most important measure of our success in intercollegiate athletics is not in the win-loss columns,” McRobbie said. “Rather, it is in how well we measure up to our own high standards for good sportsmanship, academic success, the welfare of our student-athletes and playing by the rules.” \nAfter Saturday’s game, IU junior forward Kyle Taber said the team still believes in Sampson. \n“He’s the leader of our program,” Taber said. “We all support him and respect him. We’re there for Coach, and we’ll always be there for Coach.” \nFreshman guard Jordan Crawford said he does not think about the possibility of Sampson leaving his job. \n“We’re a family,” Crawford said. “You can’t get between a family.” \nFellow freshman guard Eric Gordon echoed Crawford. \n“We’re just as a family,” Gordon said. “Whatever happens, happens.”