Sunday, Oct. 13

Former Hoosier reacts to Knight’s resignation

On Tuesday afternoon, IU sports columnist Ben Homrig spoke with Hoosier great Tom Abernethy on Bob Knight’s abrupt resignation from Texas Tech Monday. Abernathy played under Knight on IU’s 1976 national championship team which went 32-0.\nQ: What does coach Knight mean to you?\nAbernathy: “I loved playing for him. He means an awful lot to me. We spent four years together and had a lot of success and I worked awfully hard for him. I have nothing but fond memories of our relationship.”\nQ: What do you think about coach Knight’s decision to step down Monday?\nA: “I was shocked and surprised because I just assumed he would keep going forever. It’s an adjustment to realize he won’t be coaching, but I definitely respect what he wants to do and feels is the best thing. He’s got my support all the way.”\nQ: Coach Knight was a controversial figure, needless to say. What do you think his legacy is for IU basketball and the state of Indiana?\nA: “I reflect on the character traits he had and tried to pass on to his players. I gained a lot from playing for coach Knight. He taught how important it was to work hard and to be prepared. He taught honesty amongst the players along with his own personal conduct. He really stressed teamwork and the individual playing to his potential and doing the best they could do. His legacy is the people he taught through coaching and the lives they are able to go on and live because of the principles he built into us. I think the impact of his people is probably his legacy. Obviously winning is in the forefront of most articles, but I think he’s most proud of how he’s been able to influence people.”\nQ: Is there a single memory that stands out about coach Knight for you?\nA: “It’s hard to boil it down into one memory. The satisfaction that he and our team had walking off undefeated in ‘76 was a job well done. Sharing that moment with him was one thing that will always stick in my mind. It’s also all the toil and work we put in over those four years. It’s really hard to take one little snap shot, but no doubt ending that season as undefeated champs was one fond memory I have.”