Sunday, Oct. 13

Hoosiers hope to overcome long layover versus Raiders

Break from competition will test team

It’s been 10 days since the Hoosiers posted a thrilling 4-3 victory over non-conference rival Kentucky. \nIn their longest break from competition this spring, the No. 58 IU men’s tennis team has focused on staying sharp in its preparation for Friday’s match against No. 55 Middle Tennessee State. \n“I don’t know if the break from competition will affect us,” IU assistant coach Scott Linn said. “It will certainly test how good we are as a team.”\nThe Hoosiers hope to bring the same energy to the IU Tennis Center that they did when they faced Kentucky. The atmosphere was electric and the end result was a win for IU. \nMiddle Tennessee State comes to Bloomington with a 4-4 overall record. In the team’s most recent competition, it fell to No. 55 New Mexico 4-3 and No. 48 Eastern Tennessee 5-1. \nEven though the Blue Raiders dropped their last two matches, this certainly does not mean the 5-1 Hoosiers will take their competition lightly.\n“Our perspective is that we prepare the same way for every match,” Linn said. “We’ve got to beat these types of teams to get into the NCAA tournament.”\nThe time off certainly has given the Hoosiers an opportunity to work more on their technique and strategy, two things that are often overlooked or pushed aside when the match schedule becomes hectic. \n“We’ve had some really good practices this past week,” freshman Phillip Eilers said. “We’ve also had opportunity to watch video of ourselves in match play. That gives us a chance to see where we’re making our mistakes.”\nEilers, who’s had a successful year to date, will most likely face off against Middle Tennessee State’s John Peers or Marc Rocafort. Eilers and senior teammate Thomas Richter have alternated between the No. 1 and No. 2 position this season. The two are a big reason IU has had success thus far, combining for a 10-2 record. \nPossibly the biggest reason for the Hoosiers’ early season victories, though, are the senior leadership and guidance provided by Richter, Dara McLoughlin and Mike McCarthy. Just prior to their match against Kentucky, IU coach Randy Bloemendaal sat down his seniors and asked them to step it up. \nIt seems as if the three seniors have answered the call. McLoughlin said they understand no match can be taken lightly and staying focused is crucial. \n“They’re a great team,” McCarthy said of Middle Tennessee State. “Hopefully the momentum carries over from Kentucky. We’ve got to stay focused and confident.”\nFriday’s match against Middle Tennessee State will be held at 1:30 p.m.