Wednesday, Oct. 2

La Dernier Cri: One for the boys

After a semester of writing columns for the ladies, I have decided to branch out and write about one of (straight) women’s favorite subjects: men. I am as much a fan of the boys as the next girl, but after spending two-and-a-half years at IU, I have decided that the male half of the student population needs a bit of help when it comes to getting dressed in the morning.\nGuys, it is a fact that every girl loves a well-dressed man. We size you up, decide if you get our number and can generally figure you out in the first couple of minutes. And trust me, one of the first things we judge about you is the way you dress. Personally, I check out a guy’s shoes first. I don’t know why, but I think you can tell a lot about a guy by the kind of shoes he is wearing. Don’t ask me to explain it, but I do know that other girls do this as well.\nThe newest trends for guys are all very wearable. As always, a great way to look cool and casual is a nice pair of jeans (that fit) and a button-down shirt. A nice shade of royal blue with the sleeves casually rolled up has always been my favorite look, but that’s just me. The jeans must fit properly, because with a pair that is too loose, you will risk your pants sliding down to dangerous mid-90s sags, and too tight will just give you a division sign, which is really only acceptable in “Superbad.” To dress up this look, throw on a tie. Skinnier ones look newest, and will keep your look young and cool.\nFor a more mainstream and comfortable look, a nice T-shirt with a hoodie always does the trick. Pair it with lighter jeans this spring to keep the look from getting stale, as jeans in lighter washes are in for spring, both for guys and girls. The darker washes are of course still a classic, and will work with your hoodies as well. A plain color is very versatile, but an unexpected color or printed version will make you stand out.\nAs for looks to lose forever, pajama pants are at the top of my list. Come on, guys, your jeans are not that tight. They cannot be any less comfortable than your favorite pair of flannel pants. On that note, leave your moccasin slippers at home as well. Unless they are meant to function as shoes as well as slippers, just don’t. \nI also cannot stand it when a cute guy has one of those stupid shirts from Abercrombie that broadcasts to the world just how large his, um, package is. Not even at Christmas-time, when the shirt has a picture of a present on it, is this shirt acceptable.\nOther looks to jettison include cargo pants, floral printed swimsuits and most items sold at American Eagle. Why? Because you graduated from junior high some time ago.\nOne last tip I have to offer: Whatever your style, wear what makes you feel good. Women love confident guys, and looking good is always an ego boost. So, if it makes you feel good, wear it. And get yourself some nice shoes. It will be worth it, trust me.