Sunday, Oct. 13

Little 500 kicks off 2008 race with Rookie Week

Until now, training for riders participating in the Little 500 has taken place in indoor facilities and country roads. But with the start of Rookie Week on Monday, Bill Armstrong Stadium will officially open for first-year riders to learn how to ride on the track that can make them famous. \nRookie Week, the first major event in the Little 500 season, is an eight-day training session for first-year riders. Beginning Feb. 11 and ending Feb. 20, the training session will educate participants about basic rules of the event, fundamental racing techniques and tips on how to stay safe on the track. \nLeading the event are members of the IU Student Foundation Riders Council, experienced race participants who volunteered to teach the fundamentals of the Little 500 to rookies. \n“We want them to get a base knowledge and understanding on the rules of the track,” said Little 500 Race Director Matthew Ewing. “If the Riders Council does (its) job well, then the rookie riders will at least have a base understanding of the key components they need before the track opens for veterans.” \nNon-rookie riders can begin using the track Thursday, Feb. 21. \nIn order to compete in the April event, first-year riders must be present for 100 percent of the two-hour and 15-minute weekday sessions held separately for men and women. Exceptions are made only for school-related conflicts. After the completion of Rookie Week, participants must be at 75 percent of the possible track hours until race day, or a team penalty will be enforced. \nPhi Delta Theta junior and Riders Council member Matt Kain said he is ready to teach the first-year riders the basic skills they will need on the track come April.\n“It allows us to teach the rookies how to safely do exchanges and ride in a pack at a slower rate,” Kain said. “Once the veterans come it becomes faster and people get a little more aggressive.”\nOn Monday, first-year riders will be given an introduction of what to expect for the week. They will also view a film about the history of the event and take a test on the general rules of the race.\nBeginning Tuesday, rookies will progressively learn skills such as getting on and off of the bike and riding in a pack of racers. As the week goes on, riders will learn how to make exchanges and practice track etiquette.\nFour-year rider and Alpha Omicron Pi member Emily Svendsen thinks Rookie Week will be very beneficial to her team, a 10-person squad with seven first-year participants. \n“Little 500 is all about etiquette,” Svendsen said. “I think they will be very well prepared and much smarter because of Rookie Week.”\nKappa Kappa Gamma sophomore and first-year rider Kate Krieger said she hopes to gain experience from the practice on the track.\n“I am excited to be on the track for the first time,” Krieger said. “It will be good to meet the other riders and really understand what Little 500 is all about.” \nBut while some riders are fully ready to start the process, others may be a little hesitant.\n“I am a little nervous because I have never gone through anything like this before,” said freshman Chris West, a rookie rider for Phi Delta Theta. “After Rookie Week I hope to be much more ready for the race. Being involved in something that is such a big part of Indiana University history is exciting.”