Sunday, Oct. 13

NCAA gives IU list of Sampson's alleged recruiting violations

INDIANAPOLIS - IU has received a list of alleged violations by its men's basketball program from the NCAA and is expected to make the list public Wednesday.\nSteve Ferguson, president of the IU board of trustees, told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that school officials this week reviewed a report, which stems from impermissible phone calls made by coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff during 2006 and 2007.\nThe NCAA is not expected to make its ruling until this summer.\n"There won't be a hearing till this June," Ferguson said. "It's just been reviewed, and I think everyone is analyzing it now."\nFerguson would not detail what is contained in the report.\nIt comes in response to October's announcement that a University investigation found Sampson made more than 100 impermissible phone calls while still on NCAA probation for infractions he committed during his tenure at Oklahoma.\nSampson was found to have made 577 impermissible calls from 2000 to 2004 and was punished by the NCAA in May 2006, less than two months after taking the IU job. Sampson was banned from calling recruits and making off-campus visits for one year.\nAmong the restrictions imposed on Sampson was a provision that did not allow him to participate in three-way calls. But the University found Sampson was involved in at least 10 three-way calls, most patched through by then assistant coach Rob Senderoff.\nSampson said in October he was unaware he was participating in a three-way conversation on nine occasions. He also explained Senderoff was helping recruits reach Sampson, in part because Sampson's cell phone signal often dropped. Recruits then, Sampson said, would call back Senderoff seeking assistance.\nNCAA rules do not prohibit three-way calls, although Sampson's sanctions did.\nThe University then imposed its own sanctions on Sampson — forfeiting a $500,000 pay raise and one scholarship next season. Senderoff also was punished by forfeiting any bonuses or salary increases for one year and later resigned.\nThe University now has until May to respond to the report, before going before the NCAA in June.\n"The report came out in October, the University filed its response and there's really not been anything happening (on the board) in the last five months," Ferguson said. "There have not been any discussions."\nSampson's Hoosiers have ignored the potential distractions from the investigation, posting a 20-3 mark and earning the No. 13 ranking in the latest AP poll. Indiana, at 9-1 in the Big Ten currently trails only No. 19 Purdue in the conference title chase.\nThe Hoosiers play No. 15 Wisconsin in Bloomington on Wednesday night.