Sunday, Oct. 13

Perseverance leads to black belt in Tae Kwon Do Club

Ted Somerville

Wood chips flew as the Tae Kwon Do Club finished the first belt test this semester for candidates trying to work their way through the hierarchy.\n“Perseverance is the most important thing to moving up the ranks,” head instructor and Tae Kwon Do black-belt Jim Thomas told the candidates.\nIn order for its members to achieve a higher belt ranking, the club meets from 5:45 to 7:15 p.m. every Monday and Wednesday in School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation 163 to practice their techniques and teach the basics of the sport. They also have optional practice sessions on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. \n“You earn your belt with the time you put into practicing before belt night,” said assistant instructor John Bruner. “The belt test is a time to showcase your skills and what you have learned.”\nThe club has been active since 1969 under Professor Donald J. Burns. It has expanded to 150 members, making the club one of the largest on campus. The club is not limited to IU students; however, many of the participants attend the University.\n“It’s a great way to make friends,” said Abby Howenstein, the treasurer of the club. “We go out to dinner after practice and there are so many people in the club so it offers a lot of opportunity to meet people.”\nThe club’s main goal is for its members to graduate with a black belt after four years. This is the highest honor a fighter can receive; however, the individuality of the program gives the students a chance to get what they want out of it. They can test up to twice a semester, and they also do not have to attend \nevery practice. \nHowever, President Krista Harty, a brown belt, thinks they should because it’s not just a club – the members are all friends.\n“It is a great physical activity but it is also a way to gain confidence in yourself,” she said. “It’s a great way to learn self-defense as well.”\nThis club is open to all people interested in martial arts. If interested in joining, one does not have to have experience in the sport. There are many different levels so anyone can join.\n“I did martial arts when I was little but quit when I got older,” Howenstein said. “The people are amazing and the atmosphere is so awesome you just can’t leave. It is really beginner-friendly.”\nThe club currently has about 20 black belts, and many of the beginners have recently become yellow belts, which is the first level after the beginning white level. At the end of the year, three or four members of the club will test to earn their black belts. The best part of the club is the individual attention the club members receive to help improve their skills so they can one day be at that level, \nHarty said.\n“You get so much positive feedback,” she said. “The instructors can see your attitude and see that you earned your belt. They show you how to become better so you can continue on.”