Sunday, Oct. 13

Southern discomfort: Hoosiers face tough test in Alabama

The IU men’s tennis team has a tough task ahead of them this weekend playing back-to-back days in their first outdoor matches of the season. \nThe No. 56 Hoosiers head south to Alabama on Saturday to take on Troy at 12 p.m. The Hoosiers will then make a short drive to Tuscaloosa to face No. 20 Alabama Sunday at 11:30 a.m. \n“It is definitely a tough adjustment,” IU coach Randy Bloemendaal said. “It will be the first time we face the elements outdoors.”\nThe team has been working on their ball tolerance all week to help make the adjustment from the faster indoor courts to the slower outdoor courts. \n“The game slows down a lot, points take a lot longer,” freshman Santiago Gruter said. Gruter, who normally plays the No. 5 position for the Hoosiers, has posted a 5-2 record this season in singles matches.\nIn their first test of the weekend, the Hoosiers will face Troy, a team with a 2-3 record. All three of Troy’s losses came to ranked opponents. In their most recent match they defeated North Florida, 4-3.\n“Troy is real quick, pressure team. They will try to run you over early,” freshman Phillip Eilers said. \nOn Sunday, IU will face Alabama. The Crimson Tide started the season with a 6-0 record but have since dropped their last three matches, all to top 15 teams. \n“Alabama is a talented team,” Bloemendaal said. “They are well-coached and they fight all the way.”\nThe Hoosiers will have to be prepared for longer points this weekend. Playing indoors there are usually around four to five shots to a point. Outdoors however, there is usually anywhere between 10 and 15 shots, Bloemendaal explained. \n“You really have to get your feet going (playing outdoors),” Eilers said. “Grind some points out.”\nIU will look to keep their momentum going this weekend in Tuscaloosa, hoping to extend their winning streak past two matches.\nBefore their weekend matches, IU will have a chance on Friday to practice outdoors for the first time.\n“You can never tell what the weather conditions will be,” Eilers said. “We’ve just got to make adjustments.”\nThe Hoosiers will continue their road trip on Feb. 29 when they face Charlotte in Raleigh, N.C.