Sunday, Oct. 13

Culture center leads interfaith prayer

Director gives history on Chinese-Tibet conflict

Opening with a greeting from Brother Benedict, a Dominican friar, the interfaith prayer service brought community members together Wednesday evening to intertwine hope with prayers in support of the crisis in Tibet. \nThe interfaith service was held at the Tibetan Mongolian Buddhist Culture Center. The goal of this service was mentioned throughout the evening: “To gather as one people to pray for compassion,” Benedict said.\nRepresented at the service were members from the Baha’I, Muslim, Jewish and Christian communities. A member from each faith spoke a prayer or read a passage encouraging peace.\nArjia Rinpoche, director of the center, gave background information during the service on the severity of the Tibetan crisis.\n“Since the Chinese have occupied Tibet, there have been many deaths of Tibetan monks,” he said.\nIn 1959, the Chinese occupied Tibet and demanded monks to disrobe themselves, Rinpoche said. \n“Even today, lay people are getting arrested,” Rinpoche said.\n“There is hope,” Rinpoche said. “Tibet is really different now; in fact, we are not only struggling to free Tibet, but now we must focus on a free China.”\nRinpoche said the Tibetans are not against the Chinese people. \n“The people are our brothers who are being controlled by a communist Chinese government,” he said.\nRinpoche stated that even though he is Buddhist, he considers all faiths important to helping end the crisis. \n“I consider that no matter what the faith, we all must practice the compassion,” he said. “We all must say a prayer for peace for the world.”\nAlso in attendance was Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan, who spoke of the importance of communities coming together for one desire: peace. \n“I see two forces,” Kruzan said. “Man’s inhumanity to man and the lack of compassion.” \nThe mayor ended his speech by encouraging the members of the audience to never underestimate each individual voice and prayers.\n“Peace at once and peace for all,” Kruzan said.\nMany members of the culture center were present at the event. \n“I hope this event brought awareness to this cause and was a great representation of how everyone with different backgrounds can come and resolve this conflict together,” said Lisa Morrison, media and publicity coordinator for the center.\nAt the conclusion of the service, members of the audience were asked to sign a letter to be sent to the United Nations, the House of Representatives, the Senate and President Bush in hopes of pressuring China to end the crisis.\nThe evening ended with reflections of the evening’s events from Rev. Mary Ann Macklin of the Unitarian Universalist church. \n“Pray for those who are causing this suffering, that they may find kindness and that those who are being afflicted may still know kindness,” she said.\nFor more information on helping to end the crisis in Tibet, contact the center by visiting the center during daylight hours or by e-mail at tmbcc@tmbcc.net.