Sunday, Oct. 13

Cycling club unites Hoosier riders

Little 500 racers use club to train year-round

Training and preparing for races is anything but easy for the IU Cycling Club. \nIn addition to being full-time students, the cyclists also ride anywhere from 15 to 20 hours and 150 to 350 miles a week. \nIsaac Neff, president of the IU Cycling Club, and Michael Sherer, vice president of the IUCC, have set up rides at 3 p.m. every Monday and Wednesday for members to ride together and get to know one another as well as providing members with as much advice as possible before races. \n“During these practice rides, the main goal is to try and bring members together and have a good time,” Neff said. \nMembers ride no less than two times a week with one another. They also ride individually and make weekend trips as well as to prepare for upcoming races and to improve their skill level.\nNeff said training varies significantly for the club’s riders. Members are not required to race, nor do some of them even want to.\nHelping riders improve their overall skill level is one of the club’s \nmain objectives. \nOutside of general advice, Neff said he often goes over racing strategies with club members.\nThe club is individual-oriented more than anything. Some riders’ goals are to attend nationals, while others are there simply to improve their riding skills, Neff said. \nNo matter what their personal goal is, “they must be motivated to learn,” Neff said.\nRacing for the club has not varied a whole lot over the years as far as preparing for races. Former IU student and club member Matthew Ewing, who is currently the Little 500 race director, said he trained anywhere from 12 to 23 hours a week, not only for the IU Cycling Club, but also for the Little 500.\nHe used the club to build his skill and endurance for the annual spring race Bloomington is famous for. \n“I used the races through the IUCC to help prepare me for the Little 500,” Ewing said.\nWith a variety of skill levels in the club, Neff and Sherer said there are three different categories riders can be classified under in the club: A (the most experienced riders), B (intermediate) and C (beginners).\n“C cyclists ride to improve their skill, fitness and knowledge,” Sherer said. “A cyclists use the club races to train and get in shape for May Nationals and the Little 500.”\nThe club does not pressure riders to do anything that they don’t want to do, Neff said.\n“Each person has their own role,” either as a member or as a racer, Neff said. Either way, they are all working toward the same goal.