Tuesday, Oct. 1

Fair features new artists

It’s not just for the girls – the Fourth Annual Women’s Arts and Crafts Fair will be held from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Showers Plaza, offering live bluegrass, a hip hop performance, jewelry and much more for a wide range of tastes. \nWhile the event primarily showcases local female artisans, Loni Dishong, executive director of Women Inspire, a group that brings in inspirational female speakers, said the fair is much more.\nFrom photography to eco-friendly housekeeping services, the fair has something for everyone, said Kim Hovis, fiscal manager for Middle Way House. The Fair Trade Bloomington booth, for example, will sell a wide range of fair-trade wares, including baskets, jewelry, household items and children’s toys and books. The booth for Dishong’s company, Mundi Lingo, will have information about its foreign language-teaching services, including Russian, French, German and Spanish.\nIn addition to showcasing female artisans, the atmosphere will provide a comfortable environment for new artists, said Miah Michaelsen, the assistant economic development director for the arts for the city.\n“It’s a pretty daunting challenge to think that you’re going to put yourself or your work out there,” she said.\nBecause the event will showcase artists in various stages of their careers, Michaelsen said newer craftswomen will have the opportunity to learn from more experienced business owners. \n“You can find yourself insulated and isolated as a small business owner,” she said.\nDishong said she appreciates the networking aspect for women and the unity it encourages between different professions. She said this year’s fair will have an additional women’s business expo and more live entertainment.\n“It’s going to be a great event,” Dishong said. “It’s all important, it’s all creative, it’s all engaging.”\nHovis said she’s been participating in the fair for a few years now and she and her daughter, 9-year-old Kendall, always look forward to it.\n“There are so many different things people have made,” she said. “It has more variety than most shows.”\nHovis’ products will include solar system necklaces, complete with Jupiter’s moons and Pluto.\n“My daughter is mad at me because she says it’s not a planet,” she laughed. \nThe primary organizers are Middle Way House, Women Inspire, Girls Inc. of Monroe County and Fair Trade Bloomington. \nDance performances will include the Caravanserai Dancers, Hip Hop ConnXion and Dark Side Tribal dance troupe. SweetGrass bluegrass band and jazz artist Monika Herzig will also perform.\nFood will be provided by El Norteno and other vendors. In addition to the arts and crafts booths, there will be demonstrations and children’s activities.\n“I think you’re going to find some very high-end, high quality art,” said Girls Inc. executive director Dorothy Granger.