Sunday, Oct. 13

IU fights wind, rain to beat Louisville in home opener

Chris Pickrell

Coming back from a successful spring break, IU’s rowing team competed against the No. 20 Louisville Cardinals at Lake Lemon Saturday. With the wind and rain pushing the rowers to their limits, IU placed second in the varsity eight race, which is considered the most prestigious, but won the varsity four. \nJunior Madison Spruell, who rowed in the varsity eight, stated she was “a little frustrated” after the regatta.\n“We spent time in Clemson last week, where we worked on the beginning and start of the regatta,” Spruell said.\nSpruell said the Hoosiers executed the first part of the regatta well, but fell apart after the 1000-meter mark. Though her team had the first part down, she said, toward the end of the race they lost the feel of the lake. \nSome members of the team said the wind was so fierce they could not even hear their teammates in the same boat.\n“Our race strategy to race to the 1000 was successful,” assistant coach Carmen Mirochna said. \nMirochna said the lineup may change for next week because “speed still needs to be had.” \n“Everyone has done a great job training, now we need to do it,” Mirochna said.\nMirochna also stressed the difficulty of the sport.\n“(IU’s rowers) work hard, and that is great, but so are (their opponents),” Mirochna said. \nKiri Crane, one of two seniors on the team, rowed in the varsity eight and said, “we definitely know what we want and next week we will have to perform it.”\nIU will row against Dayton and Eastern Michigan at another home regatta at Lake Lemon Saturday morning.