Sunday, Oct. 13

IU opens Big Ten play against Minnesota in Twins’ Metrodome

A ninth-inning surge on Sunday secured a Big Ten series split for the IU baseball team at Minnesota against the Golden Gophers.\nWith the split, IU’s record moves to 12-9 on the season and 2-2 in the Big Ten.\nThe Hoosiers drove in five runs in a knotted ninth inning on Sunday to put away the Golden Gophers at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome.\n“They were a pretty good team and splitting on the road is good for any weekend,” sophomore catcher Josh Phegley said. “We are showing that we are not the IU of old, that we are going to compete in the Big Ten.”\nThe rally started with junior center fielder Andrew Means lacing a single to right field then swiping second for his 13th stolen base of the year. The next two batters reached base on walks, which set up a two-run double for freshman right fielder Kipp Schutz. \nThe Hoosiers tacked on three more runs to take an 8-3 lead into the bottom of the ninth.\nThe Gophers made the game dramatic, however, as they added four runs to bring the game within one. But senior right-hander Chris McCombs took the mound and got the last batter out for the save, his second of the season.\n“I was glad to come in and be able to put the game away,” McCombs said. “It was huge for us to come back after two losses and pick up those \ntwo wins.”\nOn Friday, the Hoosiers’ four-game win streak ended abruptly after they fell to the Gophers 10-2. The majority of Minnesota’s runs came in the second as they crossed six runs in an inning that saw 14 Minnesota batters come to the plate.\nIU coach Tracy Smith did not start the team’s ace, sophomore left-hander Matt Bashore, because Bashore was sore and Smith wanted to be careful with his pitcher so early in the season.\n“We threw in some other guys and kind of got it handed to us,” he said. “But I don’t think our confidence wavered at all because we didn’t have our big gun on the mound.”\nSaturday saw the Hoosiers take the nightcap of a double-header. \nIn the first game, IU faltered once more after a four-run third inning propelled the Gophers to a 5-4 victory.\n“From our prospective it was like we gift-wrapped one for them,” Smith said. “We made some base running mistakes that ultimately cost us\nthe game.”\nThough the Hoosiers took the defeat, Phegely said looking up at a one-run loss on the scoreboard showed the team they could contend with Minnesota, who McCombs said is traditionally one of the best three teams in the Big Ten. \nDown two games to none, IU had to dig in if they were going to salvage the series. \nIt was Phegley who stepped-up for the Hoosiers as his three-run blast well into the outfield seats at the Metrodome carried IU to an 8-3 win.\n“The pitcher fell behind 3-1, so I knew he had to throw something pretty straight,” Phegley said about his home run. “He threw it right where I expected him to throw it.”\nThe 3-1 pitch landed 30 rows deep in the outfield, said IU Assistant Media Relations Director Matt Brady, who called the game over the Internet on iuhoosiers.com.\nAltogether, Smith was happy with his team’s weekend, despite dropping the first two games.\n“When you lose the first two on the road in the Metrodome, you can roll over and die and take your beating for the weekend,” he said. “But these guys didn’t do that. They battled back and played two solid games. I think we grew up over this weekend.”\nAfter the split, the Hoosiers will be back in action as they host Miami (Ohio) at 3 p.m. Wednesday in Bloomington.