Tuesday, Oct. 1

Le dernier cri: Wearable art

The fashion industry, while it is one of the most creative, is also about money, as all other industries are. Because of this, some designers must sacrifice their creative visions for designs that will make their houses more money. But what happens when the industry has worn out the wearability of its designs and shifts to a more creative take on fashion? The result is seen on the runway, not in the stores.\nThe fall shows were full of creative designs and styles. Viktor and Rolf were prime examples of this rejection of marketable clothing for a more artful approach. Their gray trench coats and dresses emblazoned with the 3D phrases “No” and “Dream On” were the most memorable.\nAlmost every model was sent down the runway with a message either on her clothing or on her face, incorporated into her makeup. This divergence from marketable clothing came off a bit like Viktor and Rolf were simply giving the fashion industry the middle finger regarding commercial designs.\nJohn Galliano gave his fall show a bit of the same feel. Not to be confused with his Dior collection, which was a tame and marketable collection. Galliano’s John Galliano line gives off the feeling of intense creativity and artfulness. While some people might not understand Galliano, I would urge them to approach his designs and shows as if they are looking at art. Take a few moments to let the designs, ideas and what Galliano is trying to say sink in a little bit before you judge.\nThe collection was full of Galliano staples such as dramatic headpieces, bias cuts and a retro style, but it also had a different element than most other shows Galliano in recent seasons. It was subtly marketable through his choice of colors, but remained utterly creative at the same time. It was a reminder as to why Galliano is at the top of the fashion world.\nFashion is art, and should not be viewed as anything but. Sure, after it all trickles down, the art aspect is lost, but while the styles, designs and ideas are still at the top, there is no other label that one could put on fashion. Marketability is certainly a plus, but there is something to be said for sending whatever strikes a designer’s fancy down the runway. Who cares if not everyone gets it. It’s art.