Tuesday, Oct. 1

Luna Music Festival to benefit 4 non-profit organizations

Local organizations will come together at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater March 22 for a tribute to women in the arts by hosting Bloomington’s first-ever Luna Music Festival. \n“Women in the arts ... actually the arts in general, are important for everyone,” said Dorothy Granger, executive director of Girls Inc. of Monroe County. “(The arts) help us see the world in a different light.”\nGirls Inc. of Monroe County is a local affiliate to a national non-profit organization that aims to inspire young girls, ages 5-18, to grow into smart and bold young women through sports and academic programs. Girls Inc. is one of the four organizations sponsoring the festival.\n“Bloomington is a place of growth,” Granger said. “Students come here from all over for a chance to learn and expand their minds. We want to start that growth early in life through our programs.” \nGirls Inc. worked with three other organizations – Women Inspire, Middle Way House and Fair Trade Bloomington – to form the festival. The proceeds from the concert will be distributed evenly among the four groups.\nWomen Inspire meets twice a month. Each meeting features three local professional women representing different areas of interest. Founded by Loni Dishong, the organization hopes to unite local women and show them the kinds of opportunities that are available in that field.\n“Working with Girls Inc. just seemed appropriate,” Dishong said. “The girls they help now will become the women that share their career success stories with us years from now.” \nMiddle Way House works to prevent and put and end to violence against women and children. It also provides shelter for abused women and provides help in employment search if desired.\nFair Trade Bloomington was formed three years ago as a student project to help support different student economic trade projects. It is now working on forming a board of community members and opening a store in the area. Fair Trade Bloomington is responsible for ticket sales for the speaker series. Tickets are $25 and available at the Buskirk-Chumley box office. \n“It’s going to be a great night,” said Mary Embry, faculty adviser for Fair Trade Bloomington. “Lovers of local and regional artists will love the line-up we have set up.”\nThe performers for the evening will be former John Mellencamp backup singer Jenn Christy; Brenda Williams and the Soul Providers, an R&B group from Indianapolis; and Jennie DeVoe, an Indiana artist who has developed a cult following over the years. \n“I think everyone that goes will have a great time,” Granger said. “Especially those who just want to sit back, relax and enjoy the smooth vibes.”