Tuesday, Oct. 1

New theater schedule announced Friday

Season to open with ‘Dead Man Walking’

The IU Department of Theatre and Drama has announced next season’s selections, which promise to be some of its most “dangerous” choices yet. The official schedule was announced Friday at a dinner for members of Theatre Circle, an organization for financial supporters of IU’s Department of Theatre and Drama. \nJonathan Michaelsen, chair and producer of the theater department, gave a speech thanking the guests for all of their support before unveiling next season’s plans.\nThe season will begin with “Dead Man Walking,” a play about the death penalty, which in Michaelsen’s words, “makes us understand the world in a moral way.” \n“I love dangerous plays,” said John Kinzer, director of audience development. “And these plays are going to make next season the most dynamic season we’ve selected.” \nKinzer said the selection committee considers many items before making its decision. It must take into account how many roles the play is offering students and especially consider how many female roles there are to offer, since most plays consist of primarily male characters. \n“We are interested in plays with opportunities for diversity casting, too,” Kinzer said. \n“Dead Man Walking” will be directed by Dale McFadden.\n“The Wild Party,” a musical about an aging silent-movie comedian who stages a party in an attempt to make a comeback, will follow as the fall musical. George Pinney will direct and choreograph the production. \n“Hamlet,” directed by Murray McGibbon, will be performed next. McGibbon is known for his creativity in the direction of his shows. \n“This one is definitely going to be a Murray McGibbon production,” Kinzer said. “He’s going to do some very interesting things.” \n“Marisol,” directed by Sabrina Lloyd, “Stop Kiss,” directed by Bruce Burgun, “An Ideal Husband,” directed by Fontaine Syer, “The America Play,” directed by Edris Cooper-Anifowoshe and “Oklahoma!,” directed by Michaelsen, will follow. \nDavid Jones, a member of Theatre Circle and the director of IU’s Center on Southeast Asia, was pleased with the selection and is especially interested in seeing “Hamlet.” \n“It’s ambitious,” Jones said. “But it will be entertaining and a wonderful challenge for the students.” \nJones’ wife Susan also works on campus in student enrollment services. \n“The theater (on campus) is high quality and wonderful accessibility,” she said. \nHer husband said they make a point of supporting the theater department.\n “Theater is important to us not only because it’s entertaining,” he said, “but it’s a way for our students to distinguish themselves.”\nKinzer agrees and hopes the students in the audience are getting just as much benefit from watching the shows as the students participating in them. \n“I want to provide students of Indiana University the opportunity to see great literary works performed,” he said. \nHe said people have asked why the department decided to add “Oklahoma!” to its otherwise “dangerous” list of shows. He said that since the musical theater department is brand new, the selection committee thought the new musical theater students should experience performing in a show like “Oklahoma!” – very popular and inevitably performed. \n“Eventually we all need to do and see ‘Oklahoma!’ because it’s there,” Kinzer said. \nWhile Kinzer describes next season as “dangerous,” he does not mean that the stages will require being gated in by caution tape. \n“I would love to keep doing dangerous plays,” he said, “because I think that would get the generation who gets their entertainment from iPods and cell phones back in theaters.”