Sunday, Oct. 13

No. 1 in the nation, club team looks to expand

The No. 1 tennis club in the nation, ranked by the Midwest USTA League last semester, is looking to expand.\nAlthough it has begun practicing, the team is still encouraging new members to sign up.\n“People are allowed to join at any time during the semester,” said Molly Levenson, the club’s president.\nAlthough some members joined in the fall, the club accepts new members each semester as well.\nThe club includes both semi-professional players and beginners, and all those in between, said Neville Batiwalla, vice president of the club.\nMembers are currently practicing three days a week indoors at the IU Tennis Center, but will begin practicing five days a week outdoors after spring break. Members of the club can be a part of the recreational team or, if they are experienced and polished players, can compete on the travel team. \n“Our travel team is competitive, and we do play other Big Ten teams,” Levenson said.\nEight to 10 players typically go to each away tournament, she said.\nThe practices include variations of different drills, as well as both singles and doubles matches between team members.\n“We’re one of the largest sports clubs on campus,” said David Triplo, the club’s treasurer. He added that the club is a good social setting and a great way to meet people.\nAnyone interested in this club can attend two practices for free before joining, Batiwalla said. The standard membership fee for the club is $75 to cover various costs for court rental and equipment. Members are encouraged to bring their own tennis racket, but if they do not have one, they can borrow one from the IU Tennis Center.\n“We take players that have never played tennis before,” Batiwalla said.