Tuesday, Oct. 1

Perry's family reunion

Look out – It's a sass duel of epic proportions!

In Tyler Perry’s latest installment of his plays-turned-movies, he creates another wholesome movie-going experience for all audiences. “Meet the Browns” proves to be a fun-loving family film that entertains. When Bassett, a strong single mother of three from Chicago, loses her job and is overburdened with bills, she finds comfort in her unknown family that lives in rural Georgia.

Tyler Perry is effective at making the movie realistic, but at the same time, he uses humor to show how this dysfunctional family can come together and support one another. Characters such as Leroy Brown, played by David Mann, always make for a laugh whether it is because of his wacky, colorful outfits, his outlandish remarks or his buffoonish antics.

Alongside its madcap humor, the movie still manages to be serious, focusing on issues that many single-parent families confront. For example, Bassett’s oldest son (Lance Gross) is an all-star basketball player but struggles in the classroom, has no male guidance and is attracted to life in the streets. Perry’s inclusion of real-life issues in the movie in a straightforward manner helps make “Meet the Browns” an enjoyable film.

On top of the comedy and family drama, Perry insists on adding love into the movie. Although it does seem a bit cliche for a Tyler Perry production, the romantic story line seems to work perfectly for the movie. Perry’s depiction of difficult love fits Bassett’s character, who remains a bit apprehensive after past experiences with deadbeats and heartbreak.

Perry shows how he has grown as a director while staying true to his roots by giving his fans familiarity with characters from his plays that have been a success over the years. The movie also has a cameo appearance from Madea (Perry’s most famous character), which adds to the movie as a whole. “Meet the Browns” is exactly what people would expect from a Tyler Perry play: laughter, drama and a happy ending just when you thought there was no hope.